2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

creating a site-based search engine with "accented letters intelligence"

I made my site using the Serif Webplus software. Serif provides a facility for creating an in-site search engine but that engine didn't understand accented letters and therefore didn't find much of the material on my site (eg a search for my piece "Strauss aus der Frühlingszeit" was simply not found whether the ü was written with the umlaut or even when it was written whithout the umlaut).
    I solved this problem a few years ago by using the Google search engine, which is good and is also "intelligent" as regards accented letters, but it takes some time to update itself due to the fact that it depends on the frequency of visits by the googlebot.
    Does anyone have suggestions for freeware search engines which will be automatically updated whenever I update my site and which also understand accented letters (or can fuzzy them to their non-accented equivalents)?
    I don't want to do server-side coding, just create a piece of html coding to add to my pages.
    Ideas welcome.
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Thanks
    I've been using Zoom from Wrensoft, which has a free edition (I haven't tried the free edition). The indexer works from your PC and then you FTP 6 files to the site to update your index. You don't need to add anything to your pages, except the search box form where appropriate.

According to the feature list, it does cross-index accented and non-accented characters: http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/support/languages.html. I can't confirm this on our site without a lot of random searches...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zoom looks good. Many thanks :-)
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, in fact using Zoom has also helped me to identify a few problems in my site, which are now (I hope) resolved.
    Thanks again jscher2000
    Check out the new engine if you like, at http://www.dwsolo.com/search/search.php
    Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo