New Lounger
    Thanks

RAID 1 SMART Warning on boot

Hi,

I have a RIAD 1 (2 - 500G WD) on my XPS420 with Intel integrated RAID controller. They are new WD disks since the previous Seagate RAID had a disk failure last December

On boot I get a SMART warning on one disk in the RAID 1 array but Windows 7 (32b) still boots and runs ok.

I have downloaded WD, Seagate, and used CHkDSK utilities but do not get any info on a problem. The manufacturer utilities likely don't work in a RAID configuration and I'm not sure what CHKDSK does with RAID 1.

Please provide a suggestion on how to isolate the problem on my RAID 1 array. Since this is a warning is it the sign of trouble to come?

Optionally can I remove the RAID completely and split the 2 500G WD drives as single and use them separately? I don't see much advantage on a workstation for RAID.

Thanks,

Bryan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SMART warnings should not be ignored. You could boot from one of the many boot CDs and run a SMART diagnostic utility?
    I would expect Intel to have something to query the disks within the array.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SMART stands for "Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology". Its built into the circuitry of the drive and is usually leveraged by system monitoring tools like HP OpenView or IBM Director. PCs, as you have seen can also report of some errors, but not to the level of being able to pinpoint the exact problem.

As Paul said, you might be able to run a SMART utility, but more than likely you're going to be replacing the drive. If its under warranty, the manufacture may replace it with just the report of the SMART error. A bootable utility should be able to diagnose a single drive because they can bypass the RAID configuration.
    Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To be able to return a dud drive you will need to run the manufacturers diags to confirm the error. This may require running the disk on a non-RAID port.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for help!

Thanks for your help.

Tried an Intel Utility for RST controllers and it confirmed disk SMART error.

Intel had a support article that said for RAID 1, I could disable RAID and run 2 separate drives and it does work. So I can remove the defective drive. It does not show any errors on checkdisk scan just on SMART status.

Unfortunately both DELL and WD say each other is responsible to replace it so I get no warranty fix even though the drive is only 3 months old.

The *new* customer service.

Bryan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    SMART errors are reported by the drive. The WD diag utility should confirm the issue and allow you to obtain a replacement.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoever you bought the drive from is responsible for the warranty. So take it back to the shop or site bought from and insist on your warranty rights.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanj View Post
    Thanks for your help.

Tried an Intel Utility for RST controllers and it confirmed disk SMART error.

Intel had a support article that said for RAID 1, I could disable RAID and run 2 separate drives and it does work. So I can remove the defective drive. It does not show any errors on checkdisk scan just on SMART status.

Unfortunately both DELL and WD say each other is responsible to replace it so I get no warranty fix even though the drive is only 3 months old.

The *new* customer service.

Bryan

New Lounger
    Thanks

WD came thru

WD said it was OEM to Dell, they washed their hands because my PC was out of warranty now.

WD graciously are sending me a refurb one even though Dell should honour the OEM warranty since it was a replacement drive from them less than 3 months ago.

Bryan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to hear it! Thanks for reporting back on this. WD is making a real effort of late to gain customers and reputation, which is probably why they took care of this for you.
    Chuck