Lounger
    Thanks

Question Behavior of Windows 7 with retrotech floppy drives

Hello,

I've searched on my own for how Windows 7 assigns drive letters to floppy drives, but I've not hit the magic keywords to give me an answer. The reason I am asking is this, my current machine was an Windows XP machine for 8 years. Then I decided to go to Windows 7 back when it was still in beta. Up until Windows 7 went RTM, my true floppy drive, cabled to the motherboard's floppy disk controller, was my "A:" drive. My 'SuperDisk' LS-120 drive, cabled to a add-on UltraATA controller card, was my "B:" drive. When I clean-installed Windows 7 RTM, suddenly these two drives 'swapped' drive letters. I'd like to put them back the way they were, but these two particular drives do not show on Disk Management's drive list.

Is the only way to force a change the drive letter assignment for floppy drives in my case to power down the box, disconnect the SuperDisk drive, power up to login, then power down again, reconnect the SuperDisk drive, then repower the box again? Or is there a way from within Windows that I can force a drive letter reassignment?

And yes, I do still have a couple of hundred still-readable floppy disks, tho not so many 'SuperDisks'... If I burn them all to a pair of CDs, then what do I use the floppies for after that?

Thanks in advance,

AE

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried it with my DVD drive (which was assigned a drive letter I didn't want to use) since I don't have an 'A' drive on my laptop. Click <Start> right click <computer> click <manage> under Computer Management/Storage click <disk management>. Find your floppy drive and right click on it to bring up the 'change drive letters and paths' dialogue. Then follow the directions.

Mark

Thanks
    docsun's instructions should work. Note that if the ls120 is currently assigned as the a: drive and the floppy as b:, you will have to temporarily assign the ls 120 to a differnt unused drive letter, assign your floopy as a: and then assign the ls 120 as b:.

Jerry