New Lounger
    Thanks

Printer with no Windows 7 Driver

So the short story is that Canon decided that they would not create new drivers (Vista or Windows 7) for our Canon Imageclass C3500 printer at church (they are glad to keep selling toner however).

This hasn't been an issue until recently when we had to replace one of our workstations. I've been in touch with Canon and they basically said they won't create any new drivers for this beast.

The XP machines can print just fine.

My question is whether it 'might' be possible to setup one of our XP machines as a print server and have the print jobs render on the server and not on the client (Win 7) machine. I've done some Google'ing and found lots of stuff about client-side rendering by nothing on server-side rendering. I think the idea would be to have the Win 7 machine send the RAW print data to the XP machine and have the XP machine render through the print driver to the Canon.

Am I just grasping at straws with this?

Thanks in advance.
    Bob.

Thanks
    The following won't work with a Windows 7 HomeGroup, since HomeGroup only works on Windows 7 machines. It will work on a Home Network, however, which Windows 7 machines can also use.

Setup a shared partition (or folder) on the XP machine that has the printer attached. The shared partition (or folder) will be visible to all machines on the home network with simple file sharing. Any print jobs from other machines can be copied to the XP printer machine, and then printed from there.

Not as simple or straightforward as printing directly from the Windows 7 machine, but much less expensive than buying a new Windows 7 compatible printer.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob, I cannot help myself in replying to your church/printer problem with Win 7. Yesterday, I helped my neighbor (a novice) set up a new printer on her Win 7 Laptop. She went to Walmart and bought an HP for $29.00 plus tax. Setup was a snap! The cost of a new printer to the church would be minimal in my estimation and now you would have a "back-up" printer in case the other failed. I know one hates to see a perfectly good piece of equipment not work with newer technology but that is the world we live in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Bob, I cannot help myself in replying to your church/printer problem with Win 7. Yesterday, I helped my neighbor (a novice) set up a new printer on her Win 7 Laptop. She went to Walmart and bought an HP for $29.00 plus tax. Setup was a snap! The cost of a new printer to the church would be minimal in my estimation and now you would have a "back-up" printer in case the other failed. I know one hates to see a perfectly good piece of equipment not work with newer technology but that is the world we live in.
    When looking at new printers, don't forget to factor in the printing cost per page. New printers are not built to sell printers; they are built to sell ink cartridges.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This particular Canon is actually a high volume business class color laser copier/printer which can print 11x17 and cost about $5000 when we bought it several years ago. We use it to print our newsletters and Sunday bulletins so replacing it is not something we can afford to do. I'm pretty upset with Canon for abandoning this product.

I was really hoping for a high-tech pass-through printing solution.

Thanks
    How is your Canon printer joined to the network? Is it attached through an individual PC, or is it a network printer?

Or do you know if it has the capability of being a network printer, attached to the network by ethernet through the router, rather than through an individual PC?

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hi cerrmj,

If you have an available XP full retail license, you could run an XP virtual machine on your Windows 7 computer so you can use the Canon 32 bit driver to print to your Canon.

If you do not have an available XP license, you could use Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade to unlock the Windows 7 Professional features, in which MS gives you a fully licensed XP to run in XP Mode. XP Mode can only be used in Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate, and Enterprise editions.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-03-28 at 13:07. Reason: Added Anytime Upgrade link

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I is currently a network attached printer (not connected to a PC). I can switch that around if I can find a solution for printing through one of the remaining XP machines.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you click on the Advanced tab of the printer and select New Driver, you should see an option for Microsoft Update. This does not download Windows patches, but instead downloads the latest set of "native" Windows printer drivers. It is possible that MS has a driver they wrote that supports your printer, or a model very close to yours.

If that's not the case, then no matter which way you do this its going to be clunky, ugly, and in the long haul, frustrating for everyone. You might experiment with a newer Win 7 compatible driver from the same family of printers. Very often they work fine on older printers. Conversely, you can try an older Windows native driver for an HP laser printer, like a LaserJet 4000. This works because HP laser drivers, and many others (Lexmark, Okidata) are based on an old Canon print engine. We've had to do this with our old HP 2300's. The caveat to doing this is that you will probably get limited functionality. So for example a straight up print of a document will work fine. But the driver may not recognize custom tray selection or that the printer can collate and staple documents.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Limited functionality is ok - we just need to print. I'll give the 'other' driver a try.
    Thanks!
    Bob.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Win7 Drivers

Quote Originally Posted by cerrmj View Post
    Limited functionality is ok - we just need to print. I'll give the 'other' driver a try.
    Thanks!
    Bob.
    I know that I'm late coming to this, but, I had the same problem with an HP Scanner. Of course it was much less money, but I could not find any kind of driver that would work with my 64bit win7 installation, and in fact could not even find a flat bed scanner at all. I ended up with a MFD that prints, scans, copies, and faxes. Good solution for me, no help to you. However, an older color laserjet drive ought to work for you, but trial and error will be the name of that game.
    The other solution is probably better, upgrade to 7 Professional, run XP Virtual, and run all of your print jobs from there. Not cheap at $100 plus, but better than anything else as you will have full funtionality of the printer from all machines, and it will save you more time than the $ you'll spend on the upgrade.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't played around with XP Virtual on Win 7 pro yet. That is a possibility to check out. Of course my local printer salesperson wants me to purchase a new one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Sales

Quote Originally Posted by cerrmj View Post
    I haven't played around with XP Virtual on Win 7 pro yet. That is a possibility to check out. Of course my local printer salesperson wants me to purchase a new one.
    Of course he does!! He doesn't make any money off the toner that you buy, just the hardware, Trust me, go the VM route, you won't regret it. I work in a business running legacy software, and the maker insisted that it would ONLY run in XP. Well I installed 7PRO ran the VM and it works like a charm. Try it you will find it the best (and cheapest) solution!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    Of course he does!! He doesn't make any money off the toner that you buy, just the hardware, Trust me, go the VM route, you won't regret it. I work in a business running legacy software, and the maker insisted that it would ONLY run in XP. Well I installed 7PRO ran the VM and it works like a charm. Try it you will find it the best (and cheapest) solution!
    I agree with this suggestion. You may need some on-site help with this, however.