Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

A revisit: Unable to delete/take ownership of registry keys

Really need some help with this.
    Running Win7 Enterprise
    There are currently 11 reg keys that I know of that I cannot take ownership of or delete. 9 are magicjack keys and 2 are erroneous file types (jv16 power tools).
    What really concerns me is that I'm logged in as admin but do not have complete control of my computer. I was a computer analyst for over 15 yrs. and was always able to solve problems like this. Win7 has me stumped.
    How can software lock reg keys to the point that an admin cannot delete them?
    TIA

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try this command line tool from Mark Russinovich;

RegDelNull v1.1
    Introduction
    This command-line utility searches for and allows you to delete Registry keys that contain embedded-null characters and that are otherwise undeleteable using standard Registry-editing tools. Note: deleting Registry keys may cause the applications they are associated with to fail.
    or

PCRegedit
    What can PCRegedit do?
    PCRegedit is a Linux Live CD based, easy-to-use tool to create, delete, edit the windows registry key-values without booting from Windows. You can use it to fix Windows Registry key-values when it is maliciously altered by virus or when you are going to edit key-values pertaining to Windows Kernel settings. Or else, you can also optimize, clean up your Windows registry manually.
    In order to access Windows Registry without booting Windows, We have developed a new technology to help people access any Windows Registry from PCRegedit Software. The core technology provides multiple editing modes and people can easily edit any kind of windows registry keys, such as string value, binary value, DWORD value, extended string value and multi-string value.
    The most powerful features PCRegedit have are :
    1. Direct Windows Registry Key Access Technology -- This technology allows you to access any part of Windows registry with full read-write authority.
    2. Search the existing registry files(SAM, SYSTEM, SOFTWARE, SECURITY) automatically.
    3. Multi-edit mode -- Not matter what type the value is, you can easily create, edit or delete it.
    How can I edit the registry from the command prompt?
    How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a registration entries (.reg) file
    Managing the Windows Registry from the Command Prompt with Reg.exe
    How To Take Full Permissions Control To Edit Protected Registry Keys
    Circumventing Group Policy Settings

If you are still unable to delete the registry keys in question, you can always perform a format and clean install.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-03-28 at 08:20.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey CLiNT, Thnx for the tips. Tried both. Neither worked. PCregedit would not boot my computer. 5 or 6 errors and didn't recognize my video card... which I thought was kinda strange cuz it's about 2.5 yrs. old. That could be a really helpful proggie.

Thanks
    You could try the Majicjack uninstaller from thier website here.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    You could try the Majicjack uninstaller from thier website here.

Jerry
    Tried it. Doesn't do jack. Didn't delete the reg entries or one of the mj dirs. Waste of time.

Thanks
    Have you tried running regedit from an administrative command prompt?

Open a command prompt using "Run as administrator" and then type "regedit", which will bring up the regedit interface.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    How about the instructions on this page . They are for Vista but should work on Win 7.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    How about the instructions on this page . They are for Vista but should work on Win 7.

Jerry
    Tried this procedure, but is very complicated. The MS file downloaded and installed, but when run, had thousands of errors. When it completed, I went to the registry keys I want to delete and was still unable to take ownership/delete them. I have one more thing I'm going to try and, if that doesn't work, it's gonna be a clean install or switch to Linux.

Administrator
    Thanks
    There is a reason it is complicated. Security and ownership has become a tool to use against malware. Starting with Vista even though your user account is a member of the administrators group it does not have the same unfettered access to your PC as the builtin Administrator account. Thus you end up with UAC, Trusted Installer, and "Run as administrator". If you run regedit as administrator you can take ownership of any registry key. You should be very careful doing this as you can make your system unusable by changing permissions on some keys.

Feel free to change to a Linux OS if you wish. You'll find the same if not more restrictions on everyday user accounts. Security is the same reason on Linux that you have to login as "root" to do administrative tasks.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE! Alright. I tried taking ownership of 2 keys on another computer running a different ver. of w7:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SBSTOR\
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SB

These 2 keys were mentioned on several sites that had procedures listed for removing magic jack. These keys do not need to be deleted. It's some keys under these that are the culprits. I was not able to take ownership on the 2nd computer either. These keys have nothing to do with mj, so w7 is locking them.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA

I was logged in to the builtin admin acct.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When I start regedit with "run as administrator" I can change the ownership on any key. Are you starting regedit with "run as administrator"?

Since you are running Win7 Enterprise, are there policies in place to disallow use of regedit?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I am "run as administrator". Running Ent. on my home computer. No restrictions.
    Have you tried taking ownership of the keys I listed above?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes. I took ownership of those keys.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Unbelievable!

I thought maybe it was cuz I was running Enterprise, so I tried it on my laptop that runs Home Premium and had no joy. I don't understand this.

I just tried it again on my laptop. Logged in as system admin. Ran regedit as admin. Went to the USB key and tried to take ownership. ACCESS DENIED!

Joe, you got any idea what's goin on here?
    Last edited by sanyama; 2011-03-29 at 15:35.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Here's the steps I used.

Click on the Start orb.
    Enter "regedit" (without the quotation marks) in the search bar.
    In the search results area, right click on regedit.exe and select "run as administrator".
    Navigate to the key and right click on the key.
    Select Permissions.
    Click on Advanced button.
    Click on "owner" tab.
    Select the user to be the owner or use "other users and groups" button to select a user.

OK your way out.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast