New Lounger
    Thanks

No response from Win7 install DVD

New build:
    --------------
    CPU: AMD Quad core Phenom II X4920
    mobo: MSI 785GTM-E45
    HDD: Seagate SATA 1T ST310000520AS

BIOS is set to boot first from SATA DVD reader/writer.

Computer powers up perfectly, shows splash screen, goes into BIOS control with depress of <del> key, etc

However, the installation routine will not start from either of my 64 bit Windows 7 install DVD's. Install routine will start from any 32 bit (Linux, windoze, etc) OS install CD, just not a 64 bit windows install DVD.

Furthermore, I have tried another SATA DVD, as well as a pata DVD reader/writer. Still no cigar

When I attempt to boot into the installation, the spash screen comes up, then goes, and there is a little "hyphen" cursor blinking (ad-infinitum) at the left edge of the screen. Nothing further.

I have used the same install DVD to install Win 7 on another (Intel in this case) new computer once before. It worked perfectly, the DVD has been in its sleeve ever since, and there is almost no possibility that it is damaged.

I am sure that the Phenom II is a 64 bit processor. What is going on here? Do I need to set some system jumper or what?

TIA

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, this computer is for a non profit and the DVD's were provided under the MS non-profit support program. I also have a pair of XP Pro CD's, one 64 bit, the other 32 (also from the non-profit support program). All have been used to install other computers. None will boot in this system.

I do have a normal XP Pro 32 bit SP3 CD and it will boot, as will all of my recovery disks, linux disks, etc.

I am baffled. There must be some explanation other than the disks being bad. They aren't. It's just that this system will not read them from any of two SATA and one PATA drives. Any theories?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This one is a puzzler - it almost seems like the drive won't read any DVDs. Anyway, here is what I would try, probably in this order:

a) Try another Win7 installation DVD of the same flavor (Home Premium, Ultimate, etc). Just don't enter the license key (the one you have for the charity probably won't work here) when asked during the installation and don't activate; then after installation is complete go to Computer | Properties and enter the license key for the charity.
    b) Clone the DVD and try installing from the clone. Items "a" and "b" should eliminate the "bad DVD" or "drive just doesn't like this DVD" issues.
    c) Install XP from the CD that works. Don't activate. Then with XP running, insert the Win7 DVD and see if it can be read and start the install from there.
    d) Try another motherboard - there might be something amiss with the controllers on it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The disks that it will not boot (but will read-see below) are only the "non-profit" CD's and DVD's. I only have the one mobo.

Tried the easiest one first (C). I had already installed XP Pro before you posted, but I had already entered the key. Have not gone online to authenticate, yet so can reinstall without if this is critical?

Anyway "My Computer" does see the DVD drive and when I right click and press Open, it shows lists the folders and files. But when I click on setup, it gives the error message:

D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Is it possible that the Win 7 64 bit install disk, which is about a year old, does not have the necessary drivers for this CPU?

If so, what is the easiest way to update the drivers?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    D:\Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
    Sounds like the DVD is bad. You could still try options a or b.
    Another possibility is that the setup.exe is a 64-bit app, but I rather doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Is it possible that the Win 7 64 bit install disk, which is about a year old, does not have the necessary drivers for this CPU?
    No, the CPU should be just fine - no drivers are needed for it.

Thanks
    Is your BIOS up to date or in need of a reset.
    You could also remove the drive from the boot option and place the primary HDD back in the "first boot" order.
    Use the key on your keyboard that you use to access boot menu upon boot-up instead. (whatever key you use to get access to the boot menu upon bootup)

0 Clean the head of your DVD drive lazer with one of the common drive cleaners.
    1 Check power and data cables and ensure jumper settings, if any, are correct and securely attached.
    2 Reset BIOS and try again.
    3 Update BIOS and try again.
    4 Remove DVD drive from booting first and utilize keyboard prompt for boot menu instead.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the good suggestions and guidance.

Since posting originally, I have spent many hours on this trying various alternatives. Have now decided that I have spent enough of my and your valuable time on this.

The use of the computer will not be greatly compromised by running XP, so I am just going to install XP Pro and leave it at that. We can't win them all and there are other things that must be done.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, thanks for your suggestion. How would I go about a BIOS update? Since I am unable to go online with that computer with Windows, would I somehow use a thumb drive?

Thanks
    I'm wondering if you can go to the MSI web site and download the file to a flash drive, then point to the flash as the location of the flash file. When you click on the Live Update button, one option is to save as:

MSIBios.png
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Blew the whistle here just before finding the solution. Had failed to run the CD that came with the new mobo. Have now done and updated drivers and XP Pro is finding the internet just fine. Will see if W7 issue is improved.

Thanks
    Having the correct drivers for the Mobo is critical to successful operation. Glad you discovered the problem. Thanks for posting back.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy