2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to close IE 8

I have IE 8 with Windows 7. During the last few days after operating IE 8 for a while, I atempt to close it by clicking the "X" and get no response. I can send it to the task bar or use it as I am now. I've restarted to get rid of it. What has happened? Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried running IE with no addons - Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools. Click on "Internet Explorer (no add-ons).

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I went there and it states IE is currently running with add-ons diabled.
    Ken

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    That is what normally happens when you use that shortcut. Can you shutdown IE?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right after my last post I attempted to shut down with no luck. I shut down and restarted in about an hour. I'll attempt to close IE after I post this.
    Ken

I've been able to close IE now. When you told me to go to IE (no add-ons) I clicked on 'manage add-ons'. I saw one dated 3-26-2011 from Adobe - Shockwave Flash Object that was enabled so I disabled. So far so good. Thanks!
    Ken
    Last edited by smokyken; 2011-03-28 at 19:22.

Thanks
    Suggestion -- Shockwave or Flash Player kept running on and on, and these processes need to complete , abort or be closed (Task Manager) before the browser will close. Same thing as when a Firefox Extension hangs and the browser can close its active windows, but when restarted, it shows a popup that says Firefox is still running and did not shut down. Sometimes a hardware reset is the only way to end these add-on processes. The trouble is almost always traceable to browser plug-ins or add-ons, not to the main browser process. Another thing which can hang a browser is a toolbar or a browser hijacking.
    -- Bob Primak --