New Lounger
    Thanks

BIOS messed up by me!

I think I may have a brick instead of a desktop computer standing in front of me! I ran a scan on the Crucial web site and it showed that I could upgrade my memory speed from 800 to 1066 on my Gateway FX-540S. The factory had installed 3 gig of ddr2-6400 (2 1 gig and 2 512 mb 800mhz). I changed these out to 2 2 gig 8500 modules using the color coded slots to insure they were correctly installed. The computer booted up OK, showed the 4 gig installed and the 3.6 gig that Vista(32) could use. However, the computer would freeze up several times a day and have to be forced down and re-booted. The logs showed hard memory hits occurring. I should have quit there and put the original modules back and written off the new ones, but unfortunately, I tried to change the memory frequency in the BIOS and that has left me with a computer that cannot boot or even start up. Just the fans run, nothing else occurs. I know, don't say it, it was a stupid thing to do and I've been beating myself up for it since doing it yesterday. I contacted Gateway support and the gist of Acer's answer was that my computer is out of warranty (the three years were up last month!) and they can't help me. I've tried to contact a local computer repair service, but most of them are no longer in business or don't even bother returning my phone call. Is there any way to get out of this, or should I start looking at new machines? This machine is 3 years and 1 month old, a quad-4-6600 and has been reliable up until I did this! Thanks for any help or suggestions any one can give me.

Rich B.

Thanks
    Generally, the easiest method is to remove the power cord from the computer, open it and look for a button battery (usually bigger than the ones in a watch) remove it for for fifteen or twenty minutes. Theoretically this should work. If that doesn't work, check your motherboard manual for the Reset CMOS jumper location.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    Thank you for replying. I do see the battery on the MB and I will try that first. Unfortunately, Acer, who now owns Gateway doesn't want to know me because this machine is OOW and no documentation was supplied with it except the user's manual. Hopefully the battery removal will work. If not, I'll have to dig further. My backup files do have the information about the maker of the MB, so I'll start there. Thanks again for replying.
    Rich B.

Thanks
    I think I found some documentation of your motherboard on the Gateway site here. All the links on ths page are clickable. Click Main View to find the location of the components listed including the Clear CMOS jumpers.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    I can't thank you enough! The battery removal worked and I'm typing on the Gateway now. Thank you for following up on the MB information. I'll download some of those pages for future reference. Again, thank you for your help.
    Rich

Thanks
    Glad to hear it worked. Enjoy your PC again.

Jerry