New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows Installer

I recently tried to update Adobe reader when I received a notification that there was an update. It failed to install. After 3 tries, I went to help icon. It advised uninstalling Adobe reader and reinstalling it. The version that I uninstalled was 9. something. The version that I attempted to reinstall was Adobe 10. It downloaded but did not install. "Windows Installer service could not be accessed."
    I went to Windows Help. It advised getting out my Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk , signing in as an administrator and running a scan "sfc/scannow" This scan said it found that some files were corrupted and it was unable to fix them.
    Another suggestion in Windows Help (Answers) said that I should find Windows installer under Services(Administrative Tools), click on it, and if it said manual start, change it to automatic start. I did this. I'm still unable to install Adobe reader.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaslim View Post
    I recently tried to update Adobe reader when I received a notification that there was an update. It failed to install. After 3 tries, I went to help icon. It advised uninstalling Adobe reader and reinstalling it. The version that I uninstalled was 9. something. The version that I attempted to reinstall was Adobe 10. It downloaded but did not install. "Windows Installer service could not be accessed."
    I went to Windows Help. It advised getting out my Windows 7 Home Premium installation disk , signing in as an administrator and running a scan "sfc/scannow" This scan said it found that some files were corrupted and it was unable to fix them.
    Another suggestion in Windows Help (Answers) said that I should find Windows installer under Services(Administrative Tools), click on it, and if it said manual start, change it to automatic start. I did this. I'm still unable to install Adobe reader.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hi slim, welcome to the lounge.
    I would suggest a 'clean' re install of you OS, it seems corrupted. I use Foxit Reader, its smaller, faster and less prone to 'bugs'
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I would try the repair install to fix Win 7 files. There may be no reason for a complete reinstall of the OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. I used repair install and it worked. I am not a very technical person. I printed out the instructions and followed them. When it got to the part when the computer would restart on its own, the computer stopped, said it found problems and I would have to manually restart. I did and went thru the process again. This time it completed the process, although step 18, deleting temp files did not appear. I went to admin tools, found "free up disk space" and used that to delete temp files. It looks like very few files were lost in the repair process(desktop image of a grandchild is the only one so far). Tom

Update: My HP printer software stopped working. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it. My problem is mentioned in latest Windows Secret newsletter.
    Last edited by dakotaslim; 2011-04-15 at 16:59. Reason: Udated info