New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Windows Optimizer... A Shampoo?

CNET is touting this product.. I've never heard of it.. (don't get out much anymore)... anyone know anything about it/?? Jay in Playa Herradura..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    IMO, optimizer programs are like snake oil. You are much better off avoiding them altogether.

Joe

Thanks
    On the other hand, squeaky snakes can be very annoying
    However, totally agree with Joe - a Windows optimizer would be a holy grail, but what's out there is mostly wholly gruel.

Jock

Thanks
    I used to use Windows Optimizer a long time ago...
    It didn't do any harm...Or good for that matter...

Now, I stay away from all them.
    I use Ccleaner but not the registry cleaning feature....
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ashampoo is all one word, if that helps (in searches for reviews or direct view of their site). I have a number of their products, some of which I use and like, but if you get on their mailing list you may hear from them more often than you might like. On the other hand, they often have sales of decent products at giveaway prices. (I recently bought a licence for PowerArchiver, said to be comparable to WinZip, for $7.95.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using WinOptimizeer 8 now. It seems to be working. I have used about four previous versions, and all have worked well. My one complaint with this company is that I am charged a foreign exchange fee on my checking accout when I purchase programs from them since they are in Germany. All of the products see to work well for me.

Charles (Mike) Parker

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggested that getting on their mailing list might be worthwhile, and Iím not sure whether itís by invitation only or anyone can take advantage of it, but Ashampoo has a special deal through May 3, and the site may be worth a visit. Any one of their products except 3D programs (e.g. CAD) is available for $10. I think all licences are single-computer only.

If you need or want a full-featured burning program, I think Burning Studio 10 one of their top products (I have it, but I havenít used it enough to review it), I much prefer Revo Uninstaller Pro to their UnInstall, their HDD Control is impressive if you have a computer with drives that worry you (I have that on one computer with such drives), there is a load of multimedia and photo stuff, and they even have their own Office 2010.

WinOptimizer is there too. If you really want a registry tool that lets you see what is going on and make choices as to what individual changes you want it to make, I recommend jv16 Power Tools 2011, which is $29.95 for personal use (up to 5 computers for a single user). One attractive feature is that you can download a free 60-day trial. It is actually a suite of programs with an assortment of interesting features, any of which might pay for themselves over time. On the other hand, WinOptimizer is ten bucks, and it wonít break the bank to try them both. If the Ashampoo deal is limited to one item per customer(?), then you might prefer something else anyway.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    if ccleaner may be considered system optimizer then this is my choice.