New Lounger
    Thanks

Send failure only on one smtp server

Hi, I use Outlook 2003 on Win XP. I've had occasional send failures before but re-opening Outlook or rebooting the laptop have always cured it. I take that back: on occasion Outlook will corrupt an email to the point that it will never send. The only cure then is to delete it and start a new email. And if that email is the first in line it won't send the other good ones.

But two days ago I stopped being able to send mail using the pop3.live.com server I have used for years. I can still receive, and can still send using a different server.

When it attempts to send, I get no error, it just attempts forever.

Never had this one before, and rebooting doesn't fix it. Any help?

Thanks
    pop3.live.com is hotmail incoming mail server. You can't send via that - it is for receiving messages.
    The outbound server for hotmail is smtp.live.com. You access it via port 587 (or port 25 but that often fails) and it requires an SSL connection.

Jock

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies, I did state the incoming server didn't I? I did mean the outgoing server, smtp.live.com. That's what I've been using for years, and I didn't change it.

I have done some experimenting in the last 2 days: I changed to port 587 (previously had always used 25) and am sometimes able to send TEST emails using the Test button under Tools/Email Accounts/Change, etc. but my own outgoing emails still fail. Deeply suspecting a corruption of some Outlook file.

Thanks
    OK, so it sounds like you have your hotmail account set up in Outlook as a Pop/SMTP account.
    That will only work if your hotmail account is an MSN/Hotmail account, not a Windows Live Mail account. If your hotmail account has been upgraded that may be the origin of your problems. That could have happened if you installed Windows Live Mail client on a Win 7 machine to access your Hotmail account, for example.

However, if it is a MSN/Hotmail account, you can find detailed account setup instructions here:
    http://ask-leo.com/what_are_windows_..._settings.html
    Those are for Outlook Express, but 2003 is similar enough you can use it to check your settings.

Having said all that, since you are running OL2003, the preferred way to access your hotmail account is by installing the Microsoft Connector plugin for Outlook. This works for any type of hotmail account, is more reliable and has more features, like syncing contacts. See Microsoft's instructions here:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...010221823.aspx

Jock