1. Star Lounger
    Thanks

W7 Taskbar Keeps Disappearing

New Dell laptop, Windows 7 Home, 64 bit. Taskbar keeps disappearing. I'm not a newbie and have checked all the usual suspects: it's not on autohide, the right boxes are checked, etc. The only way I've found to get it back it to reboot.

Thoughts?

Thx.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You say it disappears? Is there a line and it is blank below that line where the Taskbar should be? If that is the problem then click on the line. On my computer a line with a pointer top and bottom appears which should stretch the Taskbar. It may reactivate instead.

4. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I click as far down on the desktop as I can to where the taskbar should be, and I get the menu that appears when you click anywhere on the desktop. The laptop is at home and I'll look again, but I couldn't see any line or anything else that was where the taskbar was supposed to be. It's the oddest thing. And my wife (who owns the laptop) doesn't know what she does to make it vanish, and I sure don't.

5. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google for Taskbar activate. Even though it says not for Windows 7 give it a try. I am using it on Windows 7.

6. Administrator
    Thanks
    Is the BIOS up-to-date? Are the video drivers up-to-date?

Also, see Taskbar disappearing tips.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Davidhs (2011-04-09)

8. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try some of these ideas. The laptop is less than a month old, so drivers are up to date. Can't imagine the BIOS affecting this.

9. Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What happens if you use the "Windows" key?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

10. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows key doesn't bring it back, if that's what you're asking. This is a great site with some other ideas: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wind...-disappearing/. Naturally, I couldn't reproduce the problem last night, so I'll have to wait. They are some good suggestions here. (Thanks joeperez!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WSC3 For This Useful Post:

Davidhs (2011-04-09)

12. Lounger
    Thanks
    I take it by "taskbar" you mean the bar across the bottom (in my case, butr it could be elsewhere) with the start icon, application icons and to the right icons associated with some started tasks?
    From time to time I get a message that Win Explorer has failed. Sometimes the taskbar also disappears. Usually that means a reboot, but it does occasionally restart of it's own accord. In my case, everything disappears, start button as well. Often all desktop icons go as well.
    I don't know the answer; I am just checking to see if yours is the same problem as I have. It seems to me the problem has increased in the last few months. Sometimes it happens when the PC is left supposedly asleep overnight (apart from malware scans), other times it will happen while I am using the system.
    When it happens to me the Win key has no effect.

I have yet to try Method 4 in the referenced tip, using C-A-D to restart Explorer, but I will see if it helps next time. I had not realised that file in Win Task Mgr allows one to start a new task. Thanks for that tip!

Win 7 Home premium SP1 , fully updated (apart from Silverlight!) All manufacturer's (Lenovo) fixes installed.