New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010 templates and No Spacing style

Geof and Andrew answered a Word template question last week. I hope they're still reading.

Users here (I am a contract technical writer) "do not use" Word templates. They are not interested in manually associating templates to Word documents.

They do want to review and markup a Word document on the screen so a .pdf is out.

Is there any way to make template.dotx "ride along with" document.docx so the user doesn't have to access the template on a network shared drive?

Currently, the "paragraph style" for all raw documents is "No Spacing." I just upgraded from Office 2003 to Office 2010 and can't find any information on No Spacing in the Word help or at microsoft.com.

I guess that's my second question: what is the purpose of the No Spacing style? In researching help sites, I see a number of users asking how to make Word default to No Spacing instead of Normal. What is the attraction?

-- Suzanne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Template Style 'No Spacing'

Hi Sooze
    The sample text I used is based on a template which is not associated with my regular 'Normal.dotx' IT is a generic raw Word created template.

The difference is in the line spacing

The following image is an extract showing successive paragraphs formatted with styles Normal and No Spacing.

The normal style has a line spacing of 1.1 with 8 pt of space after the paragraph.

The No Spacing style has single line spacing with no spacing after the paragraph.

What is the purpose of No Spacing
    I believe it is just for compatibility with legacy docs? User preference maybe ??

I think that Microsoft made the changes in the belief that the combination, line spacing of 1.1(5) and space after, aid readability. On top of that some new fonts may be easier to read with multiLine space

Check out this url at M/soft http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010231027.aspx

Note you can revert to an office 2003 style set.

Styles travel with documents
    The doc styles should travel with the doc. For example you can see the styles in the doc even if the reader's machine does not have them in the 'normal' template or has differing style definitions. This is the reason that experienced Word users make use of para styles rather than direct formatting. Bullets and list numbering with direct formatting are notorious for changing between machines.

Users can set their template locations
    Personal and Workgroup template locations can be set by the users.
    File>>Options>>Advanced>>File Locations in Word 2010
    Tools>>Options>>File Locations if Office 03
    I haven't come across any network administrators that block this. But I have never worked in a really large company.

I have become used to the multiLine and space after.
    Hope this helps.

Geof
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by geofrichardson; 2011-03-30 at 15:48. Reason: changed not to Note

3. The Following User Says Thank You to geofrichardson For This Useful Post:

sooze98148 (2011-03-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Geof!

While waiting for you, I found a couple other links and now I understand where my problem is:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matchange.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/UpdateStyles.htm

I had checked Automatically Update document styles in every document I'd sent. I guess I should have looked up the phrase in Word's help to find out exactly what that meant -- but wait! Typing in that exact phrase doesn't tell me anything in Word's help.

Just received a reply from a user to whom I'd sent a document without checking the box and she says it looks good.

So happy...I thought I was going to have to create 500 pages using the No Spacing "style."

This contract is supposed to end at the end of September. My goal is to teach at least two users to create their own templates -- even if it's only their normal.dotx!

Thank you again,

-- Suzanne

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sooze

Shauna's site is an excellent resource. Have a good look at her document on creating and linking levels to styles for numbered headings in 2010.

I rarely base my documents on normal template.
    I rarely use normal style, use a body text instead.
    I don't base new styles on normal style

In fact for serious doc rarely = never.

Word's & Excel's help, if you can understand it you dont need it. Half the time one cant ask the correct question anyway.

Cheers
    Geof

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sooze98148 View Post
    Thanks, Geof!

While waiting for you, I found a couple other links and now I understand where my problem is:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matchange.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/UpdateStyles.htm

I had checked Automatically Update document styles in every document I'd sent. I guess I should have looked up the phrase in Word's help to find out exactly what that meant -- but wait! Typing in that exact phrase doesn't tell me anything in Word's help.

Just received a reply from a user to whom I'd sent a document without checking the box and she says it looks good.

So happy...I thought I was going to have to create 500 pages using the No Spacing "style."

This contract is supposed to end at the end of September. My goal is to teach at least two users to create their own templates -- even if it's only their normal.dotx!

Thank you again,

-- Suzanne
    Word Help is totally useless: it is always a waste of time using it.

Don't use the Automatically Update check box for styles. It is deadly. It has very limited use, possibly when creating a new template with new styles as long as you remember to toggle off the check box when finished.

Newsgroups are full of questions along the line, "I changed the font of a title and the entire document changed". That is the result of using the same style throughout the document (bad practise) and having Automatically Update checked.

If you want to quickly update the underlying format of a style, you right-click on the Style and select Update to Match Selection. That will propagate throughout the document and prompt you to change the style in the template on closing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TerFar For This Useful Post:

sooze98148 (2011-03-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TerFar View Post
    Word Help is totally useless: it is always a waste of time using it.
    Thank you! I thought it was just me...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Terry
    You are getting two possible 'Automatically Update' style settings confused.

Suzanne was talking about the attached template setting in the 'Templates and Add-ins' dialog. This reimports the styles from the template when the document is opened and also when that dialog is OKed. I use a macro to get this functionality which avoids having to reopen the same dialog and turn it off again.

Sub RefreshStylesFromTemplate()
    'Reimports the styles from the template
    ActiveDocument.UpdateStyles
    End Sub

Your branching off to address the common problem of "I changed the font of a title and the entire document changed" is related to a specific style setting of "Automatically update". This is not the same problem that Suzanne described.

FWIW, I DO use automatically update on the TOC styles where it facilitates quick style changes but I agree this setting is pretty bad on any other styles.

I have noticed that Microsoft responded (shortsightedly) to the complaints due to this setting because in Word 2010 the Modify Styles dialog for the Normal style hides that Automatically Update check box. This is particularly unfortunate if you open a document which already has Normal defined because the GUI gives you no way to turn it off. Luckily VBA rides to the rescue...

ActiveDocument.Styles("Normal").AutomaticallyUpdat e = False
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia