Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Task Bar won't autohide

The problem: The task bar gets 'stuck' in an open position. It opens when a box message ('You need to update' or 'This program needs attention') opens it to get attention but once the box is cleared, there's the task bar. NOTHING short of a restart will make it go away.

Extent: It existed in XP and, according to several bulletin boards, it still exists in W7. I think it has suddenly gotten worse but it has been a problem for a lo-o-ong time. I find it in threads going back to 2001. I find it in W7 threads.

Microsoft's solution: ...is stupid. "Uncheck 'Lock Task Bar' and then turn on 'Autohide'". Clever people at Miscrosoft. This, of course, does NOTHING!

This is a major PITA. My solution has been to run the task bar along the left side of the screen so I can finish some work before having to reboot. Someone on this forum must have a better solution. Anyone parroting the Miscosoft 'advice' deserves permanent expulsion to a parallel universe in which no algorithms function.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sometimes taskbar issues are resolved by a video card driver update.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. As it happens, I ran an updater that updated all my DLLs yesterday and...the taskbar problem hit again about ten minutes ago. I am not hopeful of a solution. This problem has persisted through XP, Vista, and I now see reports of it for 7.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sometimes you need to change the settings for the taskbar, re-boot, change the settings back to what you want, and re-boot again. If that is what you've already done then I'm afraid I can't help. Maybe someone else will have an idea.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I discovered something. It happened again and, as always, it happened when I just couldn't afford the time to reboot, etc. I went into the startup icons, opened them all including the hidden ones, and punched on the first one. It happened to be the updater! When I clicked it, it produced a standard Microsoft update menu announcing two new updates. I chose the important one, clicked it off-sceen, and -- WONDER OF WONDERS -- the taskbar went away!

It seems that the taskbar is sticking because there ought to be an announcement box on-screen but for some reason the box isn't generating normally.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too had a spate of this problem and used to get fed up having to constantly restart and the put all my icons back into position! After searching the internet for a solution, the reason for the problem was given that a message bubble was being generated, but not shown. The solution given was to go into Task Bar and shut down Explorer (Windows not Internet). Then from the Start menu run Explorer from the Run... box.

Funnily enough, I've not had the problem for ages. It seemed to be a regular PITA at one time.

Hope that helps

Janet

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right on Janet. My taskbar was frozen and I had two Windows Explorer open. (Not the Internet Browser, the file browser. Wish MS would change the name of one of them) Anyhow I closed both windows and the Taskbar immediately dropped. Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it just one update announcement?

I had exactly the same problem and resolved it once and for all by discovering the unannounced update and letting it run. I suspect it is just that one Microsoft update that causes this. Once it updated, the problem was gone. Find that guy and fire him! Or maybe he was on the way out and this was a parting 'gift'.

New Lounger
    Thanks

So what is the update?

Please supply the update link otherwise why post?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb my temporary fix

I to have had this problem on and off for a long time. (It might even go back to XP). What I do to get the task bar to retract is: right click a blank space on the task bar; select properties; click on 'auto hide the task bar' to remove the check mark; click the apply button; the click again on 'auto hide task bar' to return the check mark; and press the apply button. The task bar starts retracting as is should... at least for a while!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Why it's stuck determines the fix

I well remember this problem in XP, where I had to use the off/on trick with the Autohide setting to get it working right.

In Windows 7, I've not encountered the "invisible message bubble", but I have noticed that sometimes a window will open up that wants direct attention, and until it gets it, the taskbar stays open. For me specifically, this would happen any time I download from the Internet via Firefox (up through v10; haven't noticed it in v11). Once the Download Manager window opened, the taskbar wouldn't close until I clicked on the DM window.

You can tell if you have an open window issue by looking on the taskbar--if one of the open program tabs is orange, that's an active window that wants your attention.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Windows 7 Taskbar won't autohide

Thanks lounger. Seems Microsoft didn't remember they built in a way to flag us about updates. You were absolutely right. All you have to do is check your notification area and there is probably just some Windows Update ready to install. As soon as I allowed it to start, my taskbar went away. Good job. Was a point of frustration for me as well and it is resolved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been having this same frustrating problem with the taskbar staying in place barring me from accessing certain arrows, worksheets, etc. depending on the program that I have open leading to much frustration. I have moved it from side to side, top to bottom but there is always an issue with a program when it is always visible. This is despite the fact that I have it checked for auto-hide and locked. I am using Windows 7 and found this old post back in 2009 that just worked for me. I opened all the programs that had icons on the taskbar at the bottom then the taskbar automatically hid itself when not in use! Not sure how often I will have to do this but for now it is working!
    Old Post:
    OK, I discovered something. It happened again and, as always, it happened when I just couldn't afford the time to reboot, etc. I went into the startup icons, opened them all including the hidden ones, and punched on the first one. It happened to be the updater! When I clicked it, it produced a standard Microsoft update menu announcing two new updates. I chose the important one, clicked it off-sceen, and -- WONDER OF WONDERS -- the taskbar went away!

It seems that the taskbar is sticking because there ought to be an announcement box on-screen but for some reason the box isn't generating normally.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What you are all describing is the "something wants your attention" taskbar hold from autohide. Jeepers, I've known about it for a decade or more. Still happens all the time and as rightly identified, mostly with update notifications that won't notify if bubbles are turned off.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Notification Area Icons settings

I, running Windows 7 64-bit on 3 machines, have not had that problem, though I did with 2000 and XP. Perhaps the reason is that I went into Control Panel → Notification Area Icons and made sure that every icon was set to either "Show icon and notifications" or "Only show notifications". From what others have said, it seems that the other option, "Hide icon and notifications", would be conducive to the problem. I don't know whether this is relevant (sorry if not) but it's worth a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast