New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 makes html applications (.hta) crash.

I have several html applications (.hta) that run continuously. With Internet Explorer 6 through 8, they have run continuously for several weeks with no problem. The only reasons I ever interrupted them were system restarts for unrelated reasons. However, under Internet Explorer 9, they only run for about 2 days before HTML Application Host becomes "unresponsive", with no error message. With System Restore, I have returned to Internet Explorer 8 successfully.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Were you running the official release version of IE9?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It came from

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...oducts/ie/home

on 2011-03-28. I restarted the html applications after that, and they were found dead this morning.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried disabling other addons?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your attention. There were no add-ons, unless IE9 inherited some from IE8 when I installed it. If so, there were no add-ons that did not work with IE8. I have done no experimenting, because the html applications ran okay for two days, so each experiment is liable to take that long. Another reason I am not experimenting is that I depend on the html applications to get me up in time to go to work, among other things. My only plan is to warn of my problem, for those with similar applications, and wait three months before I try IE9 again.

Thanks
    I think this is worth posting on Microsoft's boards. Unless they changed it deliberately, it might be an unintended consequence of something.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At first I could not find the appropriate forum. Then, I found my own post already there in a Microsoft forum. Thank you to whoever arranged that. My username on that forum is different from my username on this one, but the post is under my correct username on that forum, so the event is rather mysterious.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since IE9 is an upgrade any addons that were installed with IE8 will be carried forward. However, addons that worked in IE8 will not necessarily work in IE9. You should disable other addons adn see if that has any effect. In IE go to Tools | Manage Addons.

Have you checked the event logs for errors?

If you are able to observe the crash, have Task Manager running to see what the RAM usage is. Perhaps you have a memory leak.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have definitely established that Microsoft (R) HTML Application Host has at least two memory leaks. One of my scripts, which runs continuously, needs about 6 kilobytes to run. Its memory usage goes up and down, showing that some memory is being released properly, but memory increases inexorably until it reaches 2 gigabytes, whereupon the application crashes. I can slow the memory leak by minimizing var statements, but not eliminate it, thus showing that Microsoft (R) HTML Application Host has more than one memory leak. There was a similar problem with IE8, but it is much worse with IE9.

With this information, I can tell when a HTML application is about to crash and restart it, but that's a hell of a way to run an operating system.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It could be that the rules for scripting have been changed. It could be the language itself has changed.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since JavaScript is a very widely used standard, Microsoft would be highly unlikely to change it unilaterally. Since I program in several languages, I don't trust my memory, but instead use Microsoft's online documentation frequently. It has not announced any change. There is no provision in JavaScript for deallocation of memory, because variables should simply be deallocated when they go out of scope, so there are no relevant rules that could change. The rate of memory loss is much greater than the rate at which my program allocates storage; the loss must be in the internals of Microsoft (R) HTML Application Host.

Let's face it. Internet Explorer 9 is another Vista: great ideas ruined by poor programming.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The end result of a Javascript routine would not change. The Javascript engine that is used has changed significantly. It is much much faster. That implies some degree optimization among other techiniques. Optimization could easily cause this sort of effect if your program is constructed in an exotic manner.

Joe