Thanks

Win7/Vista and XP Networking problem

I have five computers on my home network through a Linksys WRT54G router
    1. Windows 7 wired desktop
    2. Laptop1 BlueGear XP Pro wired/wireless laptop
    3. Laptop2 Toshiba Vista Home Premium wired
    4. MainXP Desktop XP Pro wired
    5. Marion Desktop XP Home wireless

All the computers happily were sharing files etc. until the introduction of the Win 7 computer.
    Now every computer can see every other one and access files on the other computers with the exception that the Win 7 and the Vista computer cannot access the drives on the BlueGear laptop. However, the BlueGear laptop can access files on the Win 7 and on the Vista computer. Both the Win7 and the Vista can ping the BlueGear computer successfully, both with the IP address as well as by name. All computers are using the same ZoneAlarm Firewall and the paid version AVG antivirus programs.
    Any suggestions what I should do to correct this problem?

Thanks
    Temperarly disable ZoneAlarm to see if it has any effect. Personally, I've found that software firewalls don't reall add much and can cause issues with normal operation, so I don't use them. I find the combination of the Windows Firewall along with a router hardware firewall is protection enough.
    Also, check out the How To Geek guide to windows 7 Vista Xp Networking.
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Disbling Zone Alarm had no effect and the guide did not deal with my problem either. I am still stuck.

Thanks
    See if the info in this Fred Langa Windows Secrets article will help with your problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Romy,

Can you see the folders you designated as shared on your BlueGear laptop from Windows 7 and Vista, but get an "Access Denied" or similar message when you click on the share? If so, you may only have set the share permissions, but not the security permissions. XP Pro normally operates with Standard File Sharing. To tell if your BlueGear laptop is using Standard File Sharing, right click on a folder which you have designated as a share, and look for the Security tab. The Security tab is visible only when Standard File Sharing has been enabled on XP Pro. If you do not see the Security tab, then your BlueGear is set to use Simple File Sharing (which is the only file sharing XP Home can use). The Security tab will then only be visible when you boot to Safe Mode.

You can go to Folder Options>View tab, and locate the check box labeled "Use Simple File Sharing" or something similar (I am working from memory on this - do not have an XP machine with me right now). Clear the check in the box, and click apply. Your XP Pro will now be using Standard File Sharing and you can right click a shared folder to view and edit the Security tab. To simplify matters, since yours is a home network, and everyone should be trusted, look for an Everyone entry in the users and groups box, highlight Everyone and be sure to give Everyone full control permissions. If you do not see the Everyone group, then you will need to add it to provide Everyone with full control permissions. This should enable your Windows 7 and Vista computers to access the shares on your XP Pro laptop. You have to do this for every shared folder on the BlueGear laptop (except for subfolders of a shared folder, which can inherit parent folder permissions).

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    My Win7 and Vista computers can see the presence of the BlueGear computer but can not access it at all, ie. they do not see any of the drives (I have entire shared drives).
    BlueGear is set to Standard File Sharing and Everyone has Full control already. I first cancelled all sharing on BlueGear and then reestablished Standard File sharing, but neither Vista nor Win7 can access it.
    Vista error message is"\\Laptop1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator to find out out if you have access permissions. The specified network name is no longer available.
    Win7 : Windows cannot access \\Laptop1. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify network problems, click Diagnose.
    When I click the Diagnose button, the message appears that there was no network problem.
    Both Win7 and Vista can ping BlueGear successfully.

Finally I disconnected the ethernet cable and used the wireless connection. Now both Win7 and Vista can access and use BlueGear files!
    Any suggestions what may cause this weird "wired" difficulty?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I updated my router firmware I have not had any "Default gateway not found" errors.
    Now if I could only figure out why Win7 and Vista can only access BlueGear when BlueGear is connected wirelessly and not when it is wired....

Thanks
    Romy,

You can't hook up 5 computers to that linksys router. The 5th port is for the WAN {Internet connection, i.e. cable modem}.
    Check this out.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply.
    I did not think to add the following additional components in my original message. In addition to the router I also have a Linksys 8-port Workgroup Hub (Model EFAH08W), a Linksys Wireless Access Point (AP54G) and a D-Link Gigabit Switch (DGS-2205).
    Sorry about that.

Thanks
    Romy,

And you only have 5 computers? However, exactly how are they all wired up and where do the wires terminate? there are limits on total wire length, I've have this problem with my LinkSys router & LinkSys switch {4 household computers + what ever ones I'm fixing at the time}. I have my house wired so I can take a computer to several different rooms and if I have the the wrong combination of rooms hooked up at any given time the network starts acting flaky until I un-connect one of the longer wire runs or a couple of the short ones.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    Like you I frequently have several other computers in my system for repairs, setup or modification and thus I need the extra router/hub capacity. The basic wiring scheme is the following:
    The Internet modem is connected to the Linksys WRT54G router. The router is connected 1. to Windows 7 Desktop, 2. to Laptop2 Vista, 3. to Wireless Access Point (AP54G), 4. to the 8-port Workgroup Hub (Model EFAH08W). 5. Wireless connection to a Wii game console not previously mentioned.
    The Wireless Access Point services Marion Desktop XL Home and Laptop1 BlueGear in wireless mode.
    The 8-port Workgroup hub is connected to the D-Link Gigabyte switch. The BlueGear Laptop1 and the Desktop XP Pro are hooked to the Gigabyte switch.
    This weird system is necessary due to the presence of some interfering walls, but the physical locations of all the equipment are not very distant from each other. The cable length is not more than 40 feet for any one run.
    I have tried to connect the BlueGear Laptop1 directly into the 8-port hub with a shorter cable, but the problem still remained.
    Thanks for looking into my difficulty.