4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about Adobe AIR and National Geographic software

I recently received a copy of The Complete National Geographic (6 disks) as a gift.
    The installation instructions state that Adobe AIR is required to run the program.
    I have security concerns about using Adobe AIR.

Is there a way to ensure that AIR can safely be installed on my PC (running XP Pro SP-3) without worrying about 3rd party software compromising my machine, or Adobe's intrusive way of providing unwanted automatic updates?

Also, if anyone is familiar with this National Geographic program, is it possible to use the program without installing AIR?

Your responses are appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure which version of Nat Geo you have. Looks like more than one version have 6 DVD's...

Here is a quote from an Amazon review .....
    "Everything begins with the installation of Adobe's AIR run-time engine. According to the vendor, "The Adobe® AIR® 2.5 runtime enables developers to use HTML, JavaScript, Adobe Flash® Professional software, and ActionScript® to build web applications that run as standalone client applications without the constraints of a browser." Essentially, that means that NationalGeo on your PC has the visual punch of a graphically stunning Website. The installation hiccuped just after I installed AIR from the first DVD. Knowing that Adobe products are a bit finicky, I simply uninstalled AIR, and then downloaded and installed the latest version directly from Adobe's site -- after which I rebooted my PC, always an important step with Adobe products. Then I just re-started the NationalGeo install. Everything worked perfectly after that. Installation took just short of ten hours on a fast PC, and occupies just under 50 GB of hard drive real estate. Whew! "

Amazon reviews are here ....
    The Complete National Geographic

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, tf.
    I have the 2009 version (at least, the disks are labelled up to 2009).
    The National Geographic FAQ site does mention that errors might occur when using the version of AIR provided on the disks. It gives a workaround that allows installation from their web site, which provides a later version of AIR (v. 1.5.2.8870). Don't know why it wouldn't just provide the latest version, which appears to be v. 2.5, according to the quote you posted. But my questions remain unanswered, and I'm delaying installation until I get some answers (and if installation time is indeed around 10 hours, maybe I'll just install the program into the trash can).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This site shows 2.6 to be current version of Adobe Air.....
    Adobe AIR 2.6

I think the long installation time depends if you are going to copy the DVD's to your hard drive or run from the DVD's. Have seen it can take less than 6 hours to copy the DVD's to your system.

Yes, you should wait for some answers to your original questions in Post #1.