Thread: Disk Partition

Thanks

Disk Partition

I have an HP Pavilion dv5000TUS laptop, that came with Win XP. I upgraded to Win 7 doing clean install at the Win 7 Load Fest here in Portland, over a year ago.
    During that install I left the HP recovery partition of 8GB in tact just in case something went terribly wrong. Well, it didn't. What I want to know is:
    1: Can I safely delete ALL files and folders on that partition and use it, or
    2: Should I leave the files and folders in tact and use the remaining space, or
    3: Should I get some partitioning software and remove the partition that way?

Mind you it is not causing any problems what so ever.

Thanks
    John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could mount that partition and reformat it. Most likely it is at the start of the disk, and not at the end, so you probably cannot add it to the existing C: partition. Disk Manager should help you, both for the reformatting and mounting, as well as telling your where the partition is located.

On the other hand, 8GB really is not that much space. Unless you are running really low on space I would leave it.

Thanks
    In order to reclaim the space you will most likely have to use a 3rd party app. Win 7 Disk Manager can delete that volume, but because it is most likely ahead of the OS partition, Win 7 will be unable to reclaim the space. For that a 3rd party app is needed. I have used the free Parition Wizard for just this problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hmmmmm well thanks guys. With that bit of info and like it isn't that much I think I will just leave be.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is just wasted space, now. Since you have installed a newer OS, the "System Recover" program is gone and will not work. If you ever want to go back to the factory image, you will need to use a the CD's from the OEM or one that you could make before the new OS was installed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Yup, Dave that is why I was looking into using it...
    Was up in your neck of the woods last weekend....
    Thanks John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    It is just wasted space, now. Since you have installed a newer OS, the "System Recover" program is gone and will not work. If you ever want to go back to the factory image, you will need to use a the CD's from the OEM or one that you could make before the new OS was installed.
    Dave,

I don't think that is correct, at least for Dell computers. If you Press Ctrl+F11 at boot it boots the recovery partition which contains the program as well as the data.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do NOT think that the System Recover will work if the Origainal OS has been replaced.
    It is not a BIOS function, but a small program on the BOOT disk that gets things started.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @DaveA, my experience is that the recovery partition contains everything necessary to bring the system back to factory specs, regardless of what you have done to the OS partition - I restore Visat on my laptop after installing a Win 7 beta. But that experience is for HP laptops, recovery partitions from other manufacturers might work differently. But since John really doesn't care to restore the system to XP, the point is really moot. If John really needs a few extra gigabytes he would be better off buying a USB thumb drive, he can get one really cheap on sale, even up to 32GB.
    Last edited by cafed00d; 2011-04-01 at 23:30.