Thread: Macrium Reflect

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect

On advice from another post I placed elsewhere on these forums I've downloaded Macrium Reflect.

I've read a bit of the general instructions in the help and online files and done an initial test backup to an external hard drive.

I've never used IMAGING software though and don't completely understand the general concept.

When I did the test backup I got two files on the external drive even though I was making an image of a single partition. Can someone explain why this occurred.

The main reason I'm doing this is so I can swap out a HDD and not have to reinstall all programs, data, drivers, utilities etc. As I understand imaging software I can restore the image to the new drive and have the system up and running in its original state.......just with a new and larger HDD.

So my second question is how you would go about doing this. I assume you would have to first format the new HDD and then have it connected to an up and running system so Marcrium Reflect could be used to restore the image from the backup external drive to the new HDD. Is this the basic idea?

Thanks,
    BH
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-02 at 15:31.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post

I've never used IMAGING software though and don't completely understand the general concept.

When I did the test backup I got two files on the external drive even though I was making an image of a single partition. Can someone explain why this occurred.

The main reason I'm doing this is so I can swap out a HDD and not have to reinstall all programs, data, drivers, utilities etc.

So my second question is how you would go about doing this.
    bhdavis

Hello...When doing the "Image" of C: you should only be getting one folder of the image that you made... Sent to wherever you have decided, (ex: folder called "My system backups" etc.) extra hard drive internal or external. An Image is a exact copy of you OS... say C: it contains everything.... all files \ folders etc. The short answer is....once the OS "Image" is made you can then restore it to whatever hard drive that you choose..
    Example .... Say that you remove something that you shouldn't have...and now your system wont boot....Just sits there with cursor blinking... No problem ( have done this too many times to count) So you grab your Macrium boot disk load it into your CD \ RW drive (sometimes manually) and "fire" it up.... Macrium will load itself so you can choose the "Image"that you have previously made and place it to wherever you want ...Original position or another HD . Hope this basic explanation helps ...at times there is a bit more to this depending on other things .. Post back and will try to get you up to speed with the whole "Imaging " thing. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred. It's weird ........ I did an image of the entire partition of another laptop drive and got 4 files this time.

You talked about the image of the operating system.....but it does the image for all files right? That is, programs, data AND operating system?

Do you think having Norton GoBack on the machines might be having some sort of effect?

BH

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdavis View Post
    Thanks Fred. It's weird ........ I did an image of the entire partition of another laptop drive and got 4 files this time.

You talked about the image of the operating system.....but it does the image for all files right? That is, programs, data AND operating system?

Do you think having Norton GoBack on the machines might be having some sort of effect?

BH
    BH,
    Hello... Have no idea of why your getting "4" files . As i show in my "screenshot" this is how i set up for the image ...which results in only one file. Do you have the "CD" option checked off?

Yes ...when you "Image" a OS partition or Hard Drive you get a "Snapshot in time " of your entire OS or Disk. This includes all OS stuff and your "programs" and "data" etc.

As far as Norton "GoBack" I have no idea of the program ...as i only use Acronis True Image Home v-7046 and the Free Macrium Reflect. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-03 at 13:28.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Check your defaults and see what the FILE SIZE setting is....It could be set to split the backup into several pieces...

I split the file sizes to about 4GB so I can burn each one on a DVD when I need to.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your hard disk is formatted as FAT32, only 4GB (max size) files will be written.
    As far as GoBack is concerned, it modifies/replaces your MBR, and should be turned off when imaging; I had hoped that Acronis NonStopBackup (part of TrueImage Home) would have similar functionality, but it just doesn't work (as reported by many).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. Especially for the point on disabling GoBack for the image.
    BH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From what it sounds like, you need to "Clone" your HD, not "Image" it.

If your purpose is to take your currently working, say 200GB HD and replace it with a 500GB hard drive, then you want to Clone it.

Imaging is a backup strategy that creates an image of the drive, usually compressed, that the software used to create the image can restore data from.
    The image is then stored as a file or set of files in the file structure of a drive.

Cloning copies the HD sector by sector, and creates a bit level copy.
    Cloning produces a bootable drive containing all the bits that were on the original drive in the same places.

I do not remember what software I last used for swapping my HD, but Seagate and WD and some of the other HD man's provide software that will clone. They just require that there be one of their drives connected in order to work.
    I think both of them are using a stripped version of Acronis True Image.

In any case, search for "Disk Clone", there are several tools out there, and if you have a Seagate or WD drive in the mix, just use the available software. (check their website)

Hope this helps!

Ben~

Thanks
    Cloning is a good choice for moving from one HD to another, but remember that to clone a HD, both drives have to be connected at the same time. This might work nicely on desktop PC's, but not laptops. Imaging does indeed work to "copy" a total system from one HD to a new HD when the old and new HD's cannot easily be connected at the same time as with a laptop.

Also remember that with either Cloning or Imaging, after moving the OS from the old HD to the new HD, if this move involves a new PC, or involves other new hardware as well, new drivers may then have to be installed on the new HD for the new hardware.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-04-30 at 04:18.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, some software is registered to your initial hardware "footprint" and will not operate on the new disk, or require you to use up an activation before operating. These programs (e.g. M$ Office, Dragon Naturally Speaking, NERO Multimedia Suite) should be uninstalled from the original disk (while connected to the internet) BEFORE imaging the disk, then reinstalled afterwards. Luckily, there are only a few of these (anybody know about Adobe Photoshop & Elements??).

Zig