Lounger
    Thanks

Opinions on 2 Acer Desktops

I am looking for a second desktop computer.It will be used mostly for streaming Netflix video and TV shows to my 42" LCD TV through the HDMI connection.I will be using a Wi-Fi router after I get the 2nd computer.My DSL speed is capable of HD(3-6 Megabit).The 2 machines I am looking at are both made by Acer...

One has an Athlon dual core processor and a graphics card(the reviews mention a separate card.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AX340..._fb_revshr_001
    The other has an Intel dual core processor with on board graphics,but has a wi-fi card. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-PT.SE...Specifications

They are almost the same price,and seem to be equally equipped.Are the processors and graphics equal?
    Last edited by Rothie; 2011-04-01 at 19:49.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as "horsepower", for what you are using this for, either of these will work nicely. I have 2 Acer Netbooks, one is about a year and a half old. We like them very much. Of the two that you are looking at, the AX3400G-U4802 has an NVidia graphics card, the other has an Intel card. Common thinking is that the Intel graphics cards are very mediocre compared to NVidia. But quite honestly, neither of these are high end, so I'm not sure it makes much difference. My Dell laptop has an Intel card in it and I do processing of camera RAW files and have not been disappointed with it, or with streaming video.
    Chuck

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response,Chuck.I tried doing a comparison on the processors,but depending on what site I read,I got confused by all the jargon.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome. As far as the processors themselves go, over the last few years the AMD processors seem to be a bit slower than comparable their Intel counterparts. But I know people with AMDs and they are very happy them. Unless you compare them side by doing exactly the same things, you really won't know which is better. I think you'll be pleased with either choice.
    Chuck