Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Help with Blu-Ray and Windows 7

Need help getting Blu-Ray to play. Equipment is: HP Pavillion AMD Athlon with Windows 7 32bit.
    Video: ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 x16 HDMI+VGA+DVI Single Slot Video Graphics Card

Blu-Ray player: Samsung Blu-Ray Internal SATA Drive with Lightscribe 12x BD-ROM 16x DVD-ROM 8x DVDRW 8x DVD-/+R DL 48x CD-ROM SH-B123L/BSBP

Monitor: ViewSonic VX2239WM 22-Inch (21.5-Inch Vis) Wide 16:9 1920x1080 Full HD Monitor with 2ms Response Time, HDMI Input and Eco Mode

The graphics card is connected to the monitor using the HDMI cable.

I tried the Cyberlink software that came with the player, but it wouldn't even run. No messages, just start up an disappear.

I tried WinDVD Pro. It started once, then I got a message that an error occurred. Microsoft tried to find a fix but couldn't, and locked up my system. After that, even following a reboot, it behaved just like the Cyberlink software.

I tried ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre 5. This will bring up the player, see the Blu-Ray DVD, but won't play.

Windows Media Player 12 says the drive is empty.

Windows Media Center just ignores it, i.e., no message, just returns to its main screen.

The ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5 recognizes the DVD in the player and start automatically, but like I said, it doesn't play it.

I've searched the Internet for codecs, help, software, etc, but nothing I've tried has helped. I have not downloaded any codecs, I couldn't find any that seemed to be of help.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is this a new PC?

Is it under warranty?

Did it ever work?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I bought an LG BluRay writer for my desktop, it came with a utility that verified that all of my components were at the necessary levels to view BluRay movies. Once all of the green checkmarks showed up I could watch BluRay movies just fine. Did your BluRay play come with such a utility?

Lounger
    Thanks
    joeperez: No, this is not a new PC, it's about 4 years old. The setup I listed above is what I just finished putting together - along with a 500W power supply - this past weekend. This setup has never worked. I can play regular DVDs, using WinDVD and both Microsoft products.

cafe00d: I did get software that evaluated the setup. Everything was green except for one, and I believe this was in reference to the graphics card, but I'm not positive about this. I would have to rerun the program to be certain. I believe that the graphics card I have will support Blu-Ray.

Since posting the original message, I downloaded PwerDVD 10. It behaved just like WinDVD, it posted a GUI, then I got a message saying it encountered an error and has to shut down. PowerDVD 9 came with the Blu-Ray player, but that software wouldn't even run.

Thanks
    Here is the latest driver update 03/29/2011.Here's the link;http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-32.aspx
    I would like to suggest that you down load VLC player;http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html This player will play,Almost anything you can throw @ it.Then try you ArcSoft program.BTW,Windows platform is just too picky.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    VLC won't play BluRay disks for me - I tried several disks and it just does not like them. BluRays play fine with PowerDVD 9. I tried Media Center - once it saw I had a BlurRay it launched PowerDVD to play it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur: I installed the driver. The results are: PowerDVD 10 started, then said it encountered an error and had to stop. It locked all open windows; I had to reboot to get out of it. I had to run the ArcSoft program as Administrator. It started to play the disc then stopped saying the system was not HDCP compatible. I know the ATI graphics card is, at least its specs says it, and I know that the monitor is HDCP. I guess this only leaves the BIOS. I'll have to work on this over the weekend. I've looked for BIOS updates before and never found any, I guess I'll look again.

I thank you all for your interest to help, I guess I have some more work to do.

Joe

Thanks
    One last ditch effort here;http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur: Thank you for the pointer. It looks promising. I can't believe how much software there is out there for "playing" Blu-Ray. I may not get to it until later this weekend, but wanted to let you know that I saw your response. I'll let you know what the results are.

Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur: I installed SlyFox. I would get it running and it would notice that none of my DVD drives had a disc in them. When I inserted a BD disk in the player. SlyFox started but then just disappeared. I ran the Advisor program. The results were under two tabs: Basic and Advanced. It passed everything for Basic BD playing. The Advisor program said for Advanced that the player couldn't do: Bonus View nor BD Live. It also said I needed to upgrade H264, MPEG 2, and VC-1 capability. It also could not detect any player software. I did find out that ArcSoft Total Media 5 would play a BD non-HD disc. When I put in a BD HD disc, the software just froze, as far as the picture was concerned - I could still move around in the GUI. I tried up upgrade the firmware, but the site is posting version SB02, and I have SB03 installed (assuming SB03 is newer). There doesn't appear to be any specific driver for the unit. A standard Windows 7 Microsoft driver is installed. I check the specs for the Samsung BD player and it says it supports "True 1080p Full HD technology". I clicked on the "information" button on the Advisor, but my options seemed to be specific to Cyberlink products. As much as I hated to, I installed one of those hardware verification pieces of software and ran it. None of its suggestions were related to the BD player or graphics card.

Thanks
    How much memory do you have installed on your mother board?I can only suggest having @ least 2 gig's.Another idea;Plug your monitor in with a DVI cord.If you monitor allows it,If not plug it in with the VGA.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Memory: 4GB
    DVI cable: Error when playing HD DVD saying system is not HD compatible. Same error when playing a non-HD BD DVD. No audio.
    VGA cable: Would play non-HD BD DVD. Error when playing HD BD DVD. No audio.
    Using the HDMI cable I did not get an error code when trying to play the HD BD DVD, it just wouldn't play it, although it does list the title. Played the non-HD BD DVD with audio.
    Graphics card info: http://www.powercolor.com/us/product...res.asp?id=244
    Samsung BD player info: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Intern.../ref=de_a_smtd
    ViewSonic monitor info: http://www.amazon.com/Viewsonic-VX22.../ref=de_a_smtd
    I tried a second HD BD DVD and this time I just got a message that this disc cannot be played; it didn't even get the title.

Thanks
    The only thing that's left.The player itself is,Defected?From what I've been reading it's a decent player.But just because it's new doesn't mean their isn't something wrong with the unit.If you want to contact Samsung here's the link;http://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact
    The best of luck to you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response and help. I've been trying to decide whether it might be the graphics card or the player itself. I have no way of testing the player to confirm this. I've been a bit skeptical since the advisor that came with the unit is saying that it doesn't support HDCP. Last night I downloaded the Shark Codecs, but that didn't help any either. I'll contact Samsung support and see what they say. Thanks again.

Lounger
    Thanks
    chowur: It's been a while, here's what's happened and where I'm at.
    I send e-mail to Samsun about their Blu-ray player, but never did hear back from them, I guess I'm not surprised.
    I contacted the company where I bought the player from, they had me send it back, and they sent a returned one the same day. As I was afraid, it didn't help any and I felt bad sending the player back since I wasn't 100% sure it was the player. I bought a new graphics card, ZOTAC GeForce GT 440. The Cyberlink BD & 3D Advisor reported that everything was able to play both BD and 3D, except for true 3D on the monitor. I downloaded a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD 11, but it didn't work, it would open and hang. I contacted the support site, but since it was a trial version they weren't offering any assistance - great group eh? I removed all codecs and other software that I had downloaded so as to get a fresh base starting point.

I downloaded some Codecs but they didn't work. I removed those codecs and dowloaded Shark Windows 7 Codecs. With this, PowerDVD would recognize the BD disc but not play it. I opened the Codecs GUI and made some changes. I could get PowerDVD to play one disc per boot. If I stopped playing a DVD and started it later, PowerDVD recognized this and allowed for Resume, except for the software hung. After MANY disappointing attempts I later downloaded a trial version of ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theatre 5. It has been working flawlessly. It starts a lot faster than PowerDVD 11 and I can play more than one DVD between boots.

It looks like I'm finally up and running. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast