New Lounger
    Thanks

Older XP SP2 - Keeps rebooting

I just recently had to try and fix an older, XP computer which hasn't been updated in the last few years. The symptom was, it would not boot and would kick you back to safe mode. The computer would successfully boot to safe mode including Safe mode with networking. I ran a few checks for obvious malware / system issues, but did not find any smoking guns.

One odd behaviour: I went ahead and did a chkdsk. Upon successful completion of chkdsk, the computer would boot without any problem. If I then shut down the computer and turned it back on again, the same rebooting sequence would start and we would be stuck back in safe mode again.

Anyone else seen where running chkdsk would fix whatever the problem for one time? I have since gone back and re-ran chkdsk, and again, the computer would work just fine until we shut it down and tried to reboot. Then it would not boot and we would be forced back to safe mode.

Thanks
    Try a Clean Boot. If that works, try re-enabling t hings a little at a time til you find the culprit(s).

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to go back and try clean booting to see if I can narrow it down any.

Thanks

Cool

Most "OLD" computers, that have not been used for a while, need a new CMOS battery. A old / weak CMOS battery can cause bad boots or no boot at all, making the PC seem to be totally DEAD. That's what I'd check first. It's the easiest and cheapest fix.

And if the battery does not check out to 3.0 vdc, with a digital volt meter, replace it.
    While you're inside the PC, check for bulging or leaking Electrolytic Capacitors on the motherboard.
    If any are found, those can actually be replaced by a qualified tech. (badcaps.com)
    I've been a Board-Level repair tech for over 30 years, so I just do my own cap replacements.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I can can't urge you enough to update to SP3.Here's the link to do so once you get things straighten out;http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...lp/end-support
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    The best fix for a two year old computer is a clean install with an update to SP-3.
    While your at it you can also look into the latest drivers.