2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sudden program deaths

Running Win7 HP SP1 64bit. All up to date. First I thought this was a Firefox issue, but apparently not. About a week ago, FF 3.6.16 just ended itself a few seconds after I started it and the home page came up, and today, the same thing happened to Thunderbird 3.1.9, right after it retrieved the mail. In both cases, it happened first thing in the morning, after waking PC from sleep mode.

Malware Bytes, and MSE report no problems. Whatchathink?

Thanks
    I don't use either, but I have read very recently that the latest update of Firefox is quite unstable. I haven't read anything about Thunderbird.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I don't use either, but I have read very recently that the latest update of Firefox is quite unstable. I haven't read anything about Thunderbird.
    I've read that about FF 4, but not 3, nor TB.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cws View Post
    Running Win7 HP SP1 64bit. All up to date. First I thought this was a Firefox issue, but apparently not. About a week ago, FF 3.6.16 just ended itself a few seconds after I started it and the home page came up, and today, the same thing happened to Thunderbird 3.1.9, right after it retrieved the mail. In both cases, it happened first thing in the morning, after waking PC from sleep mode.

Malware Bytes, and MSE report no problems. Whatchathink?
    You should one use one MBAM or MSE. Personally I don't use them, I prefer Avira. I also suggest SuperAntiSpyware Portable Download it using a clean PC and run a full scan in 'Safe Mode'
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    4.0 is the latest version of Firefox. I find it to be very stable. But I did have a lot of issues with the betas until the second release candidate. 3.6 was very stable. I'm not sure if I'm on the latest Thunderbird, but haven't had any trouble with it either.

What I have found in using hibernate (I don't use sleep mode), is that about every 2 weeks things become unstable and I just need to do a clean reboot. Telltale signs are sluggish performance, slow to load web pages, and individual programs that just freeze. I have also discovered one or 2 programs that don't like hibernation, they have to be closed before I close the lid on the laptop.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    You should one use one MBAM or MSE. Personally I don't use them, I prefer Avira. I also suggest SuperAntiSpyware Portable Download it using a clean PC and run a full scan in 'Safe Mode'
    Unless one is using the Pro (non-crippled) version of MalwareBytes, it does not interfere with MSE in the least. It is not running unless called. MSE is always running in the background, but (at least for me) it doesn't seem to mind a MalwareBytes scan being run actively while MSE is loaded. I've never had a MalwareBytes scan trigger anything at all from MSE.

YMMV

Agreed, one should only use a single active AV and/or a single active AM at any given time on one machine, never two active competitors at the same time.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Unless one is using the Pro (non-crippled) version of MalwareBytes, it does not interfere with MSE in the least. It is not running unless called. MSE is always running in the background, but (at least for me) it doesn't seem to mind a MalwareBytes scan being run actively while MSE is loaded. I've never had a MalwareBytes scan trigger anything at all from MSE.

YMMV

Agreed, one should only use a single active AV and/or a single active AM at any given time on one machine, never two active competitors at the same time.
    Agreed. That's what I do. There are NO "perfect" anti-anything out there, so running more than one (separately) doesn't hurt. I'm not sure I even suspect malware, spyware, etc., since this only happened twice, and to separate programs. I think I'll clean my registry - haven't done that in a while.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    SuperAntiSpyware found just tracking cookies. Thanks for the suggestion.

I did have a lot of cr** in the registry, though, that I fixed with CCleaner.
    Last edited by cws; 2011-04-05 at 00:11. Reason: add registry comment

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cws View Post
    Agreed. That's what I do. There are NO "perfect" anti-anything out there, so running more than one (separately) doesn't hurt. I'm not sure I even suspect malware, spyware, etc., since this only happened twice, and to separate programs. I think I'll clean my registry - haven't done that in a while.
    Good luck with that; no telling what "registry cleaning" will screw up for you...

Unleash Windows