New Lounger
    Thanks

How to change IE9 address bar font size?

My spouse's machine is running IE9 on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. The font size in the address bar and in the Favorites list (in the Favorites sidebar) appears to be identical and is too small for her to read comfortably. I've been able to enlarge the font size on other areas of the window (title bar font and menu font via Control Panel, and webpage font directly in IE9), but I can't find a way to enlarge the font on the address bar and the favorites list in the sidebar. Googling for solutions hasn't turned up anything. Does anyone know how to adjust these font sizes? Thanks in advance for any help.

Vance Hamilton

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You can reduce the display resolution. Start > Control Panel> Display>Settings and move the Screen Resolution slider to the left. You will see less information on one screen but all the fonts will be bigger. Find a tradeoff that works best for you.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for the advice, but I'd really rather not reduce the overall display resolution if possible. Is there no way to enlarge just the font in the IE9 address bar and favorites sidebar?

Vance

Thanks
    I tried the Ctrl & +, but this only changes the size of the contents of the page, not the address bar or favorites. Sorry I can find no way other than already mentioned.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

How to change font size for menus and IE favorites list

1) Right-click on the desktop and click on “Personalize”.

2) Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the icon for “Windows Color”.

3) In the resulting dialog box, click the link for “Advanced appearance settings”.

4) In the next dialog box, titled “Windows Color and Appearance” find the menu for “Item”.
    Note: This is where you will choose the area or object to which your changes will apply. However, this still does not change the font and font size for your chosen area or object. To change font and font size, after selecting an object or area here, you still have to go down to a different menu, the “Font” menu. Details follow.

5) For now, under "Item" just pull down to choose “Menu”.

6) Across from “Menu” you can change the size of the menu area, but not the font or font size.

7) Below there, under “Font” pull down to change the font and font size *This is where you change the size of the text in menus. For instance, this affects how large the type displays in your Internet Explorer ribbon, and within the “Favorites” menu. Microsoft really buried this setting deeply!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @skriddles:
    I really appreciate your effort to help after such a lapse of time in this thread. Unfortunately, when I tried your suggestion, it did indeed change the font size of the menu text, but not the font size of the address bar or the favorites sidebar.
    Thanks again,

Vance

Thanks
    Go to start menu then control panel>click on EASE of ACCESS Center.Then scroll down to>Explore all settings.There you will see>Make the computer easier to see.Of course you will see other options as well.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, here's the info for the address bar, not just menus & favorites.

The originator of the post, Vanceh, reminded me that what I posted was not exactly what was asked for. Sorry! However, the right setting is in that same unexpected area which I mentioned earlier, Window Color (and Appearance). Go there, click on "Advanced appearance settings" and in the first dropdown, under "Item" choose "Icon". Then in the drop down below that, for "Font" pull down to a larger size. Oddly, this not only applies to the titles of icons, such as those on the desktop, but also applies to the Internet Explorer address bar. As for the favorites bar, rather than the favorites pull-down menu, I'm at a loss. I hope this is somewhat helpful!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to skriddles For This Useful Post:

royw (2011-09-13)