New Lounger
    Thanks

Acer Aspire - Win7 Starter & IPv4 IPv6

I hope the title of this post means something to some of you...! I have a brand new Acer Aspire One 522 running Win7 Started that I have used on the internet at my house for about 8 days. I then travel to my daughters house 600 miles away and can not get connected. I know I have the correct SSID and security key, I know she has a different router (a Belkin about 3 years old). I think I have tried every permutation in network sharing that I can think of to no avail.

I come to one conclusion and I don't know what to do about it. On my laptop that works, in the "network connection details" I see that there is a tcpip address for the "IPv4 DNS Server, the DHCP Server and Default Gateway" It is the same ip address of 192.168.2.1
    Meanwhile on my Acer Aspire, there is no ip address for any of the IPv4 items but there are 3 IPv6 addresses at the bottom for DNS Server of fecc0ffff::1%1 and 2%1 and 3%1
    I'm wondering if I can add the IPV4 addresses somehow that maybe I would get connected.
    The SSID is correct, and the security key is also correct.
    If anyone can give me a clue as to what to do I would really appreciate it, thanks.
    Jack

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the router configuration? Could be limited in the number of connections. Could also only allow certain MAC (hardware) addresses to connect.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion Joe but I kinda doubt that the 2 laptops that are connected plus the 1 I'm trying to connect would exceed the number of connections.
    I don't understand what you mean by "...could also only allow certain MAC addresses..." do you think there is a list somewhere that would compare my MAC address to those allowed and say, yay or nay? Sounds strange to me.
    jack

Thanks
    On my router (Linksys e4200) there is a wireless MAC filter as shown:

WirelessMACFilter.jpg

For my router I insert the address as shown in the address bar, choose wireless settings, Wireless MAC filter, enabled, choose either Allow or Block, then add the MAC address of all PC's I want to allow.

Find each PC's MAC address as follows:

open a Command Prompt
    type ipconfig -all
    The MAC address should be shown under Wireless LAN adapter Physical Address:

WirelessLANAddress.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There may not be an actual limit to the number of devices that connect, but if the router is setup to assign IP addresses the router could be configured to limit the number of IP addresses assigned.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd also add that, if the router is 3 years old it doesn't know zip about IPv6, and you wouldn't need it now anyway.

Also, is your laptop seeing the wireless signal?

Thanks
    Hi Jack,

Do you have IPv4 installed on your Acer Aspire One as in the graphic below?

WiFi connection Prop.JPG
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-04-06 at 13:43.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    deadey81, you startled me with your question if I had Ipv4 installed. It never crossed my mind I would have to install it so I checked and my Network Connection Properties screen shows up the same as yours...whew ! Well, with one exception is that I UNchecked the "File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks" as I don't want to share things if I ever get on the network.
    When I click on the "Internet Protocol Version4 (TCP/IPv4)" and then select Properties, I see under the General tab the radio button is on for Obtain and IP address automatically and the radio button is on for Obtain DNS Server address automatically.
    When I click on Advanced, in the IP Settings tab it says DHCP is enabled but there is nothing under the Subnet Mask. And under the Default Gateways, there is only the titles Gateway and Metric, no information under either of them.
    When I click on the DNS tab there is a radio button on for "Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" and under that there is a check-box checked on that says "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix". Down lower, the check box is checked for "Register this connection's addresses in DNS".
    When I click on the WINS tab there is nothing in the box for "WINS addresses, in order of use:" but the check box for "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" is checked and lastly, the radio button under NetBIOS setting for Default is checked on.

I'm wondering if you would be so kind as to see it your system is like that, and if it has any IP addresses in various boxes, do you have any idea how I would get them also. Thanks,
    Jack

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that the router wont know nothing about IPv6 but I'm wondering if that's the only thing Windows Starter knows about ?? So if the router doesnt know IPv6, and my Acer doesnt know IPv4, no wonder I'm not connecting.
    Thanks,
    Jack

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    There may not be an actual limit to the number of devices that connect, but if the router is setup to assign IP addresses the router could be configured to limit the number of IP addresses assigned.

Joe
    Joe & Ted, thanks for the responses. It may be that the router is set up for only a few devices but I am reluctant to "go in" and start changing things...likewise with Ted's suggestion.
    If I was the only one on the router it would be no problem but my wife uses it for some work she does and my daughter would probably have a coniption if she found out...so I am trying to stay out of the router's insides for now...
    jack

Thanks
    Hi Jack,

I have checked all my settings compared to yours, and they all match. The settings are basically the default. Normally, IPv4 is already installed on everyone's computer. I asked about the status of yours in case it had been changed at some point.

Now, if you do not use Homegroups in Windows 7 (Starter Edition can only join a Homegroup, not create one), then you can safely uncheck IPv6 because you do not need it at this point. Reboot your computer and then continue below.

Click on your wireless icon on the right side of your Taskbar and click on Open Network and Sharing Center. Once there, confirm that you have a Home network setup, not Public or Work. Next, click on Change Adapter Setttings. Locate your daughter's wireless network and right click. Select Status to view certain parameters, then click on the Details button to view your Network Connection Details as shown in the shots below.

Network Connection Status.JPG

You should see your IPv4 address, Subnet Mask, IPv4 Default Gateway address and IPv4 DHCP Server address (which should be the same), and your DNS Server addresses.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Hi Jack,

I have checked all my settings compared to yours, and they all match. The settings are basically the default. Normally, IPv4 is already installed on everyone's computer. I asked about the status of yours in case it had been changed at some point.

Now, if you do not use Homegroups in Windows 7 (Starter Edition can only join a Homegroup, not create one), then you can safely uncheck IPv6 because you do not need it at this point. Reboot your computer and then continue below.

Click on your wireless icon on the right side of your Taskbar and click on Open Network and Sharing Center. Once there, confirm that you have a Home network setup, not Public or Work. Next, click on Change Adapter Setttings. Locate your daughter's wireless network and right click. Select Status to view certain parameters, then click on the Details button to view your Network Connection Details as shown in the shots below.

Network Connection Status.JPG

You should see your IPv4 address, Subnet Mask, IPv4 Default Gateway address and IPv4 DHCP Server address (which should be the same), and your DNS Server addresses.
    Thanks Deadeye but I get stuck when I try and change my Public network to Home as you suggest. When I double-click on the park bench, I get a screen that asks me to enter and network name and choose an icon. not even close to what I should see. So, I;m stuck, if I only knew how to erase all the network stuff I have done so far I would start over...
    thanks,
    jack

Thanks
    Jack, at this point, I would remove your daughters wireless network from the Acer by right clicking the wireless icon on the bottom right of the Taskbar and clicking Open Networking and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage Wireless Networks, highlighting her wireless network and selecting Remove. Reboot you computer, and then set her wireless network up on your Acer again. Check out this tutorial on how to do so step by step. Make sure you have disabled IPv6 if you do this. Check Services to be sure the WLAN AutoConfig service is set on Automatic and has started.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye81 View Post
    Jack, at this point, I would remove your daughters wireless network from the Acer by right clicking the wireless icon on the bottom right of the Taskbar and clicking Open Networking and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage Wireless Networks, highlighting her wireless network and selecting Remove. Reboot you computer, and then set her wireless network up on your Acer again. Check out this tutorial on how to do so step by step. Make sure you have disabled IPv6 if you do this. Check Services to be sure the WLAN AutoConfig service is set on Automatic and has started.
    Deadeye, I'm not sure what happened but I replied to your note over a week ago but I don't see it here. I've been on the road and just got re-connected a few days ago and thought I would check this forum again.
    I followed the tutorial and did what you suggested and got connected rather quickly. Thanks again for all you assistance.
    Jack

Thanks
    Glad you resolved the difficulty. Thanks for posting your results again.