New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 System Image won't load

Hi All
    Windows 7 System Image Install Issue.

I had another SSD go dead on me a week ago and I have been trying to reload the System Image file(s) I created using the Windows 7 feature. I have loaded this System Image file a couple of times now so it did work.

I had 4 SSDs in a software Raid Zero Array. (yeah I know, some of you don't trust software Raid arrays. I'm beginning to not trust them either but a hardware solution is very expensive) In the last 2 or 3 weeks I have had 1 SSD cause the array to crash and 2 SSDs die subsequently. I'm hoping the OEM will understand that the 1st bad SSD caused the other 2 to die. So I'm running out of parts here.

So I'm trying to load the System Image that was created from a 4 SSD Raid Zero array onto a 3 SSD Raid Zero array. I deleted the array and recreated it in Windows 7 OS software. BTW, the System Image file is still smaller in size than the capacity of three 30GB SSDs.

I get the wording that the image has failed to load. It doesn't say why or give me an error code or something to refer to. The question I have is: Can I load the Image created with 4 SSDs onto the current array made up of only 3 SSDs?

I think I should be able to do this. As long as the basic Raid Zero array provisioning is the same I believe it should work. Otherwise I'm thinking maybe the System Image file got damaged and that is why it is not loading. Anybody have another view?

Jimmy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm assuming you are using win 7 to create image backup, so my suggestion is based on this.

Highly unlikely to work as the drive size has to be as large or larger than the drive size when image was created (not the image size).
    If you have an ordinary hard drive that is larger storage size you may be able to load image to this drive.
    Once up and running you could re-size the standard drive partition to be smaller than the SSD x3 raid size. Then do a new image backup.
    Then the new image backup should work on your new SSD x3 raid setup. Then can check partition size and expand it to full SSD raid size if ends up being smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Hi All
    Windows 7 System Image Install Issue.

I had another SSD go dead on me a week ago and I have been trying to reload the System Image file(s) I created using the Windows 7 feature. I have loaded this System Image file a couple of times now so it did work.

I had 4 SSDs in a software Raid Zero Array. (yeah I know, some of you don't trust software Raid arrays. I'm beginning to not trust them either but a hardware solution is very expensive) In the last 2 or 3 weeks I have had 1 SSD cause the array to crash and 2 SSDs die subsequently. I'm hoping the OEM will understand that the 1st bad SSD caused the other 2 to die. So I'm running out of parts here.

So I'm trying to load the System Image that was created from a 4 SSD Raid Zero array onto a 3 SSD Raid Zero array. I deleted the array and recreated it in Windows 7 OS software. BTW, the System Image file is still smaller in size than the capacity of three 30GB SSDs.

I get the wording that the image has failed to load. It doesn't say why or give me an error code or something to refer to. The question I have is: Can I load the Image created with 4 SSDs onto the current array made up of only 3 SSDs?

I think I should be able to do this. As long as the basic Raid Zero array provisioning is the same I believe it should work. Otherwise I'm thinking maybe the System Image file got damaged and that is why it is not loading. Anybody have another view?

Jimmy
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-04-05 at 08:29. Reason: Spelling and additions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Curiousclive

Thank You for your help.

I finally got time to find my spare Maxtor 500GB SATA II hard drive and follow your directions. I had used it before as part of a Raid 0 array. I loaded that System Image file I previously mentioned that failed to load on the 3 disk Raid 0 array onto my spare Maxtor 500GB SATA II hard drive. I had to run startup repair twice but now it is up and running. I'm using that PC right now. It is running fine. All of the installed programs are working.

Curiousclive, if you could help me with the DOS commands to use, I could accomplish the rest of the task that you directed me to do.

["Once up and running you could re-size the standard drive partition to be smaller than the SSD x3 raid size. Then do a new image backup.
    Then the new image backup should work on your new SSD x3 raid setup. Then can check partition size and expand it to full SSD raid size if ends up being smaller."]

I know some basic DISKPART DOS commands. I used the following commands to provision the Maxtor SATA II hard drive after I plugged it into the port that I had used for the fourth SSD drive. I used [list disk] to identify the drive number and [Select disk] to select it. I used [clean] to clean this disk. Then I used [create partition primary] to create the primary partition space. Then [active] to activate that partition space. Then [format fs=ntfs quick] to quick format that partition space and finally [assign] to assign it a drive letter. These are all of the DOS commands I know. I watched a "How To" Microsoft video on how to create a Bootable 4GB Flash drive to Install Windows 7 and learned these commands. The Bootable Flash drive works great!

Diskpart displays that Windows 7 "sees" my spare 500 GB drive as Disk 1 and is 465 GB total size with 346 GB of free space making it 119 GB of usable space. Diskpart "sees" the Raid Zero array as disk 0. It displays it as 89 GB in total size with 0 Free space so that would make it 89GB of usable space. (three 30GB SSDs in Raid Zero = 90GB so 89GB is close enough to be it)

When I right click the "C:" drive (500GB SATA II) in "My Computer", Properties displays that it is using 34.3 GB or 36,873,236,480 bytes of "Used Space" and has 84.9 GB or 91,183,972,352 bytes of Free Space available for a total of 119 GB of capacity.

When I right click the "R:" drive (three 30GB SSDs in Raid Zero so 90GB approx) in "My Computer", Properties displays that it is using 106 MB or 112,099,328 bytes of "Used space" (four hidden protected operating system files) and has 89.3 GB or 95,929,987,072 bytes of "Free space" for a total of 89.4 GB Capacity.

Disk Management inside Computer Management displays that Disk 1 "C:" drive (Spare SATA II drive) has a "Healthy (Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) of 119.25 GB NTFS. (That is why the System Image File would not fit on the three 30GB SSDs of 90 GB capacity approximately. The fourth 30GB SSD created that partition size.) It also has 346.50 GB Unallocated space.

Disk Management displays the Raid Zero array as Disk 0. I added drive letter (R) to it and was able to open the drive and copy a few files into it to see if I could. It of course had the little sign "This folder is empty" displayed in it until I copied a file into it. Computer Management displays it is as "Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition) with a total partition size of 89.45 GB NTFS.

Curiousclive, you nailed the reason why the System Image File would not fit. If you would provide me with addition information about how to carry out the rest of your instructions I would be very grateful. i.e.

["Once up and running you could re-size the standard drive partition to be smaller than the SSD x3 raid size. Then do a new image backup.
    Then the new image backup should work on your new SSD x3 raid setup. Then can check partition size and expand it to full SSD raid size if ends up being smaller."]

Looking forward to hearing from you
    Jimmy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Curiousclive are you there?