New Lounger
    Thanks

Add custom colors to Office 2007?

Can custom colors be added to the color palette in Office 2007? There are a few colors I use repeatedly and each time I have to type in manually the RGB numbers. Any way around this?

Thanks
    Is this what you are talking about? This is Office 2010, but 2007 is similar.

OfficeColor1.jpgOfficeColor2.jpg
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-04-05 at 20:54. Reason: added "or this"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted, but no. I already have to go to that each time. I am asking whether I can add a custom color to the palette so I don't have to manually go to the RGB window and type in the numbers each time I want to use that same color.
    Maura
    Last edited by smora; 2011-04-06 at 12:05.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Maura,

Starting with Excel 2007, the method for modifying colors for a workbook (via Tools > Customize > Colors) is no longer available. Instead, the 'official' way to set and reuse custom colors, is to specify them as part of a custom theme.

(I'm at a computer with Excel 2010 at the moment, but probably the following applies to Excel 2007 the same)
    In the Page Layout tab, click on the 'Colors' dropdown button in the Themes group, and then click on 'Create New Theme Colors' to display a dialog where you can set custom colors.
    When you're done, give your custom theme a name and save it. It will then be available as an option when working in any workbook in Excel (and in other Office applications as well).

A possible drawback to themes is that they're not associated with a specific workbook, so they're not as readily portable. If you're working by yourself, you have access to any custom theme colors you've created, but if you want to distribute a workbook in which you've used custom theme colors, and want others who receive the workbook to see the same colors, you've got to send along copy of your custom theme file as well, which isn't always practical.

For that reason, if you intend to share a workbook that has custom colors, it might be best to avoid custom themes.

A couple of other workarounds for having to retype the RGB numbers each time:

If you already have an example of the custom color somewhere in your workbook (say for text), you can select that text, go to the font color dialog, navigate to the custom colors tab, and click OK - that will change the current 'quick apply' font color to your custom color. You can then apply that color without needing to specify the RGB numbers each time.
    Doing this also puts the color in the 'recent colors' display, which is retained between Excel sessions, so next time you open the workbook, you should be able to access the custom color that way, too.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gary, I will try that. I don't need to distribute this electronically, so that will probably work.

Maura