Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

How to determine what UPS to purchase?

Finally purchasing a UPS for our small business PC. I want to get one that will provide the necessary protection (time to save and shutdown properly) and yet not spend more than is necessary. Sale prices in local office supply store flyer range from $40 (regular $50) to $80 (regular $100). The spec pages for 2 I checked online are very confusing as I'm not sure what I should be looking for: is it the number of watts that matters? or ...?

Any help or redirection welcome!

Linda

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Personally, I always by UPS's by APC. Important to me is a minimum of 8 surge protected outlets, 4 of which are also battery protected. Also, want at least two outlets that can handle those large power blocks/packs. Run time is important. Number of Joules and Watts. Manufacturers warranty and replacement policies. In your price range are BE 450G, BE 550G, BE 650G.

The article on this site may be helpful (article is at bottom after the ratings)...
    Battery Backup Review

Also, living in Florida brings its own problems with power outages. Battery recharge time may be important.

PS: For about $100, the BE750G is worth a look.
    At Staples for $80 and Free Delivery
    Last edited by tfspry; 2011-04-05 at 16:52. Reason: added PS:

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply - and for your list of things to look for as well as a manufacturer recommendation. All most helpful. APC was what I had been looking at on sites and in a Staples flyer. Will check out the article you linked to (thanks) as well. Believe the BE750 was the one I'd seen at Staples on sale for $80 so will investigate that more fully, too.

Will post back with decision over next few days.

Linda

PS Have read the linked article and the BE750G link, too. A wealth of helpful information and some FAQ that answered questions I had as well. Plan to head off to Staples tomorrow and purchase the BE750G: like its ratings, reviews and reputation. Many thanks!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-04-05 at 19:55. Reason: Added P.S.

Thanks
    I have always used APC. I have three of them now.

While they work O.K. they seem to last until right after the warranty expires and the batteries are very expensive.

I have two with the LCD readouts and both LCD's have stopped working after about a year or two. One was replaced but that one went bad also.
    I can only see the readout if I look at it at an angle.

For my next one I think I'll try another company...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    Thanks for your reply -

PS Have read the linked article and the BE750G link, too. A wealth of helpful information and some FAQ that answered questions I had as well. Plan to head off to Staples tomorrow and purchase the BE750G: like its ratings, reviews and reputation. Many thanks!
    Linda - You're welcome!! That is the one I would buy for my own needs.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's purchased and set up and seems to be working fine. Guess I'll know in a year if I run into the same issues as Banyarola has!

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you pulled the power to see how long the unit runs on battery?
    Have you set up auto shutdown - just in case the power goes off when you are at lunch?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops. No I haven't. The information in the program says it will operate for 17 min. I adjusted a setting to shut down after 5 minutes.

Can't find out if it will shutdown automatically from reading the help information but have emailed APC support to see if they can tell me. The APC help documents talk about "hibernate" and "sleep" in Windows Vista, which thoroughly confused me. The unit is protecting a Windows 7 PC.

On a positive note, we had a wild storm here yesterday afternoon and I just noticed in the APC log that it went onto battery power for 4 seconds due to a brief blackout. That's a good thing!

Linda

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In Control Panel you will find a UPS section under Hardware > Power. Set the system to hibernate after X minutes on battery - set X to about 2/3 of the actual runtime.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul. I couldn't find the right place at first: I was looking under Devices. I re-read your post and went back to Control Panel where I did find Power! Once there, it was easy to find Settings and, under it, Hibernate. I set the hibernate time to 10 to be safe: the unit says it has 18 minutes of battery time.

Thank you so much for your help and the question that got it started! I had - wrongly - assumed the unit would shut things down automatically. Thank goodness that first battery back up was so brief. Yikes!!

Re. your earlier test suggestion to shut off the AC and see what happens ... do I unplug, wait the 10 minutes to see if auto shutdown occurs? Should I be sure no critical data is open when I perform the test?

Gratefully,

Linda

PS Hmm. Now I'm not sure I've done the correct thing. Left the computer for lunch and found it off, I think in hibernation, when I returned. Does that mean I've adjusted the wrong settings? They're for the computer and not the UPS or ...? Sorry to be confused on this.
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-05-02 at 14:31. Reason: Added P.S. Question

Lounger
    Thanks
    Batteries from the UPS companies like to sell batteries at a high price. Fire alarm or fire extinguisher companies can often test the battery, and sell you a replacement at a better price than the UPS company.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IreneLinda View Post
    PS Hmm. Now I'm not sure I've done the correct thing. Left the computer for lunch and found it off, I think in hibernation, when I returned.
    I think that's intended for laptop users to conserve battery life. For desktops on a UPS, usually the software supplied with the UPS handles the shutdown separately, although I suppose some really good UPS software might integrate with the control panel. (Not the off-brand one I bought.)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just lost the message I wrote and posted. Not sure what happened ...

Here goes again: appreciate the information and plan to go back in and reset the hibernate function to what it was, i.e., never. The APC support tell me to download updated software for the UPS to get the auto download feature. I am holding off on doing so until I get further confirmation from them or here. I find their suggestions (from an offshore help center, I'm pretty sure) to be overly complex, though always polite!

Linda