3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Use an Contact list as a filter [Thunderbird]

Quite simply I want to use a list (a contact list) as my filter in Thunderbird.

I have 2 younger brothers both of which are in boy scouts. Since I'm online the most and I'm the only one who downloads email (and thus can read email at home despite a lack of internet) I'm also the one who gets all the Scout email. Currently I have a filter set up with each individual email address in it. This of course means that if someone changes their email address I have to go through and edit the filter. If I could just use a list then I could just update said list and of course I could send email to the list. Any help would be appreciated.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe my 1.99 cents:
    I use Linux server for email. I handle my own email server. The email-name/address (sender and receiver) filter is just a text file. Edit the file is easier than editing on Thunderbird's GUI screen. Maybe you can pay and sign up a vanity email address and a sever. You can then do the same conveniently.

I do agree a wholesale copy of the contact list to the filter is much easier. I hope Thunderbird gives user access to the raw filter file in text mode, as well as the raw contact list. That way, you can just copy and paste.

Write to Mozilla-Thunderbird, and suggest the improvement.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ended up doing the address book method. The server thing I could probably do but it seems a bit excessive for this case. I have thought about setting up a mail server of sorts though. If I could make a computer download my emails (via thunderbird) then have my computer (and other devices) essentially sync with that one (or perhaps treat it like a server) but that's somewhere down the road when I have to funds and the room to get a new computer and internet.

Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Maybe my 1.99 cents:
    I use Linux server for email. I handle my own email server. The email-name/address (sender and receiver) filter is just a text file. Edit the file is easier than editing on Thunderbird's GUI screen. Maybe you can pay and sign up a vanity email address and a sever. You can then do the same conveniently.

I do agree a wholesale copy of the contact list to the filter is much easier. I hope Thunderbird gives user access to the raw filter file in text mode, as well as the raw contact list. That way, you can just copy and paste.

Write to Mozilla-Thunderbird, and suggest the improvement.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]