Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nimda Affects Office

I have contracted and elimanated the Nimda virus. I have extracted riched20.dll as instructed. I have re-installed Office 97 as a last resort. I can no longer open files with menu sequence file open. I can not open a new DB in Access and I can not link tables or import table with in access. PLEASE HELP ME>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nimda Affects Office

Did you restore a good copy of riched20.dll to proper folders?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did extract from win98 disk to winsdowssystem the Riched20.dll I suppose it is a good file if it is from original CD and I think Windowssystem is the right place to put it. Does it need to be elsewhere. Are there other related files that need to be FIXED

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...also, what version of Windows? If in Win 98, restore a pre-infection copy of your Registry via Scanreg in DoS.
    Did you go through all the necessary cleansing procedures e.g. as in FixNimda.com from Symantec?

Further to Moniq's advice, riched20.dll has to be replaced in the following locations, but note that this is done for you in Windows 2000 when you install a service pack.

Default paths are :

In Windows 98 & SE : C:WindowsSystem
    In NT and 2000 : C:WINNTSystem32, and in ...System32dllcache
    In XP : C:WindowsSystem32

Rgds

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Here in all its glory is the full instruction set if you use <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.europe.f-secure.com/download-purchase/updates.shtml> F-Secure Anti Virus </A>

Note: with a stand alone system, you will not need to carry out all of the below :

1. Use 'CodeRed' description and cleaning instructions.

12. Correct Windows Explorer's settings concerning displaying of hidden files and certain extensions if necessary as the worm makes Explorer hide certain files and extensions.

13. Restore network connections only after all workstations are disinfected or the worm will re-infect already clean computers!

Note that there are live links in the above account, borrowed from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/_new.shtml>F-Secure Europe : 50 latest Virus descriptions.</A>. Don't worry about Network or Server instructions if your system is a stand-alone desk-top.

Luck - you'll maybe need it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is win 98. I followed Symantec to the letter. They did not mention the Registry Could you step me through that process. I am a DOSless soul. I am desperate too. I am in a geographical locale with out IT profesionals otherwise I'd pay to have some one over to help. I'd appreciate your help if you can take the time or aim me at detail

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks MerC

I am going through the process now. I do have LAN but no server or internet server. Does code red apply or not

Jason

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MerC

Went through your process. one of my 3 PCs still had nimda though it had been cleaned according to Symantecs fix tool F-secures tool found two file infected. Now they are all clean and I have done everything on your list for one of them and the problems in MS ACCESS (of not being able to link table) persists. It is killing me. Do you have any additional thoughts.

jason

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    One of my posts has gone missing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

MerC
    Thank you for your help. I have tried scanreg/fix and it gave me no prompt to choose a backup rather it took a fw minutes "fixing" the registry which it reported did successfully. ACCESS however stills fails to link. I had already tried un-intalling access and reinstalling it. and uninstalling all of OFFICE and RE-installing.

Ill gladly bit any bullet to get this fixed. I just do not know what the bullet is where to bite it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A wild shot - go into Control Panel and check for all ODBC sources.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

..sorry. scanreg /fix will do as you say. To do it manually (which you could still try) you type scanreg.
    If nothing has worked by then, I'm afraid it sounds like a hard drive repartitioning, formatting and Windows re-install.

Wait a bit, though, until other possible input has come through. Meanwhile, you could contact Symantec or F-Secure and tell them what has happened. After all, they believe their fixes are working fully, and if you've followed all the instructions, clearly they're not.

Rgds

Thanks

Do you get a specific error message when you try to link or import? Something that could be searched in the MS Knowledge Base?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

NO no specific error Just the absence of action. NO lock up.

Any other ideas

Thanks