iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Rustock takedown: #1 spam botnet bites the dust

WOODY'S WINDOWS

By Woody Leonhard

For years, Rustock stood as the largest generator of spam on the Internet: Symantec's MessageLabs estimates the Rustock botnet pumped out 14 billion pieces of spam per day in March.

On March 16, a coordinated legal attack on Rustock, driven by Microsoft, cut the bot off at the knees. The total amount of spam worldwide dropped by one-third. But the pressure on the botnet isn't off yet.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/07/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Elliot Ness joined the U.S. Treasury Department in 1927, and worked with the 300-strong Bureau of Prohibition, in Chicago. He was therefor a G-Man (Treasury Man) and NOT an FBI agent under Hoover.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting article, but does not mention if infected PCs can be cleaned with MalWareBytes or similar programs. Anyone know?

(With all the background disk activity in W7, I've sometimes wondered if I've been infected, but multiple programs always report my PC is clean...)

Thanks
    I was wondering why my Canadian spam on Gmail dropped significantly in the last few weeks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Juris Diction

...U.S. Marshals raided the server host companies in concert with analogous law-enforcement authorities in the Netherlands...
    What are US Marshals doing raiding businesses in the Netherlands?

I hope that what you/they meant to say was "...law-enforcement authorities in the Netherlands, with U.S. Marshals in attendance..."
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my disk?