iNET Interactive
    Thanks

How to troubleshoot a PC-memory problem

LANGALIST PLUS

How to troubleshoot a PC-memory problem

By Fred Langa

Free tools from Microsoft, other software publishers, and RAM vendors all can work together to solve your PC's memory troubles.

In Windows 7 and Vista, an easy-to-use Memory Diagnostic Tool is built right into the operating system; XP users have other choices.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/07/04 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry "Can't revert to Firefox 3 if 4 fails?" Is that a joke?

PLEASE, where did Firefox fail?

The problem is solely with Norton's toolbar and with a user who

1. still uses Norton (for pay and in my experience all too often undependable)
    2. allows ANY toolbar in their web browser (no matter what browser)?

I do not consider myself a "fanboy" for any software maker but the headline is absolutely misleading and it makes Firefox undeservedly look bad.

@Fred Langa: Your advice is next to perfect but I am a bit disappointed about "blaming the messenger".

Ah yes, "next to perfect" maybe because Filehippo.com is the faster download site for older versions of many programs.

Thanks
    I've never had memory diagnostic actually discover and report a memory error. I think the stick would have to be REALLY BAD to see one.

But I have had bad memory sticks. When I built my last system, I got what I thought was new memory from MWave. And I had weird mobo problems that caused me to go through 4 mobo's before I finally took a chance, requested an RMA for the memory from the manufacturer (most memory has a lifetime warranty). All the memory diagnostics I had run did not show any errors.

But when I received the new sticks, I noticed that the version on my sticks was 1.2. The version on the same new sticks was 2.1.

Voila! My mobo problems disappeared.

Here's a big tip:

If you are buying memory for a system, suggest first checking with whatever manufacturer you have chosen (just call their tech support line) as to what the current version of the memory is. Make sure that the memory you buy privately or from a retail/reseller is the same version to avoid potential problems that might be really hard to identify.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Robert reports his PC Blue-Screens and reboots. So the system has restarted numerous times, but has Robert performed a cold restart. When faced with a flaky PC my first step is to shut down the system, remove the power cord (and on a laptop remove the battery), and depress the power button for a minimum 15 seconds. Then replace the battery and power cord and reboot. This sequence may not work every time but has brought many systems back from the brink of becoming door stops, and has saved countless hours of running diagnostics and troubleshooting.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PC Memory Problems

I found your article on memory problems interesting. I was suffering from constant freezes, blue screens and incomplete reboots.

I tried everything, including several reinstalls of Win7. One of my many repair disk runs offered the built in memory check program. It didn't find any problems.

A friend of mine had a more sophisticated memory check program that found my BIOS was only recognizing three of my 4 GB modules. After removing and reinstalling them, all of my problems went away.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lodidad1 View Post
    A friend of mine had a more sophisticated memory check program that found my BIOS was only recognizing three of my 4 GB modules. After removing and reinstalling them, all of my problems went away.
    Which memory check program did your friend use?

Thanks
    Not to offend the poster who loves Firefox, but I have had nothing but trouble with Firefox 4.0 on my Windows XP Pro SP3 laptop in its two Limited User Accounts. Basically, the upgrade corrupted the Limited User Firefox profiles. Combine this with the fact that the FEBE backup Extension does not yet have a working version under FF4, and disaster strikes! There are also no working url lengtheners for FF4, and several other useful Extensions have no working versions for FF4. This is definitely not Mozilla's finest moment! I would like to return to FF 3.6, and may do so.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-04-17 at 02:42.
    -- Bob Primak --