1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Some files not viewable over network

For over a year I have been using a program to synchronize files in the My Documents folder between my desktop and laptop computers across a local network. Recently, a few directories/folders on my laptop "disappeared" from view for my desktop and it is causing problems (the synchronization software, which runs from the desktop, wants to delete them from the desktop as it thinks they were deleted on the laptop, but they weren't). These files still exist on the laptop, and can even be accessed from the desktop...but you have to specifically type in the file names in to load them as they never appear in an explorer window or an open file dialog box. This suggests to me it is not a permissions issues...but I can't figure out why I cannot see them across the network connection. I have checked and the files on the laptop and they have read & write permission for everyone and are not hidden.

I'll provide details about the un-viewable files and directories separately. The files that do not show up are all in the same directory and I can see 220 of the 233 files that are there from my desktop computer (i.e., across the network). This is alphabetical, so if I copy one of the files that does not show up, the copy may be visible (if I give it a name that puts it in the first 220 files alphabetically), but if so, it makes another one disappear so there is still only a total of 220 visible files.

In addition to the files above, there are 2 directories that do not show up (not in the same path as the missing files...completely different subdirectory under the my documents path). Interstingly, the folder path that is missing is in the middle of the list alphabetically, so it does not follow the same pattern as the files described above. However, just like the files, I can see the contents of the directory and subdirectories if I specifically type the path into an explorer window on my desktop computer (across the network). But if I just browse the parent directory, I cannot tell from the explorer window that this path exists.

In case it helps, the desktop (where files cannot be seen) is a Windows XP Pro machine and the laptop (with the source files) is Windows 7 Enterprise. They are connected by a 10/100 Trendnet router and a Netgear gigabit switch. Everything used to work just fine and I cannot remember any changes that were made to these files or directories from the time they were visible until they disappeared (but obviously something changed!). The only thing remotely related to this I can think of is that the desktop computer had a second SATA port enabled recently so I could backup some files to a second drive...that drive is no longer connected, but I did not disable the SATA port. However, I am not accessing the laptop using a mapped drive, so it seems this should be unrelated.

Any ideas on why just a few files/directories would not be viewable over the network and how I can get this back the way it was?

Thanks in advance of any/all suggestions!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'm just going to throw this idea out their.Replace your Netgear gigabit switch.Make sure you have the latest firmware for your router.
    BTW,welcome to the lounge.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, still cannot see the files/directories in question. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks
    This site has helped many in the past;http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows...ng-and-sharing
    Hope this helps you as well.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I'll poke around there this weekend...hopefully I'll find something.

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I read through a lot of the info at the above site...good stuff for sure, but did not find anything that adressed my problem. Anyone else have any suggestions?

8. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Across the network and you can still access and run the files ...
    meaning they are still in the remote network hard drive(s).
    Check the icons and their Properties on your desktop. They maybe just shortcuts representing the files in the remote networked drives. Only the desktop shortcuts are deleted, not the actual files in the remote network drives.
    You can recreate the shortcut desktop icons yourself.
    Not sure why your sync software deleting desktop shortcuts representing remote network files. After creating your own shortcuts, see if the sync software still deletes it/them.

9. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had quite a similar problem in the office. On my VISTA client couldn't see some files on the server infrastructure (Windows Server 2008).
    Can you see them in a command Window?
    I neither couldn't see them there.

My conclusion: It's not a hardware problem, it's not a explorer problem, but it must be a windows networking problem. Ask Microsoft!

The solution for me was very easy: I deleted these files on the server. But I really didn't understand, why I couldn't see them over the network. Software does sometimes not what you think.

Good luck.

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Across the network and you can still access and run the files ...
    meaning they are still in the remote network hard drive(s).
    Check the icons and their Properties on your desktop. They maybe just shortcuts representing the files in the remote networked drives. Only the desktop shortcuts are deleted, not the actual files in the remote network drives.
    You can recreate the shortcut desktop icons yourself.
    Not sure why your sync software deleting desktop shortcuts representing remote network files. After creating your own shortcuts, see if the sync software still deletes it/them.
    The files in question are real files (not shortcuts). They are not currently located on the desktop, but are in subfolders of the My Documents path (and I am accessing it from the remote computer using the real path, not the libraries groupings). If I create shortcuts to these files on the laptop's desktop, I can see them and open them from the desktop computer across the network. I did not try syncing these shortcut files (desktop is not part of the sync setup I'm using...only uses the documents path), but I'm sure it would function properly...it is only trying to delete files that it cannot see on the laptop as it logically assumes they have been deleted from the laptop if it does not see them across the network. Any other thoughts?

11. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest_IRT View Post
    Had quite a similar problem in the office. On my VISTA client couldn't see some files on the server infrastructure (Windows Server 2008).
    Can you see them in a command Window?
    I neither couldn't see them there.

My conclusion: It's not a hardware problem, it's not a explorer problem, but it must be a windows networking problem. Ask Microsoft!

The solution for me was very easy: I deleted these files on the server. But I really didn't understand, why I couldn't see them over the network. Software does sometimes not what you think.

Good luck.
    Using a command prompt, I see the same thing I do in the explorer window (i.e., files are not seen across the network that way either). I agree this is some problem with the Windows 7 computers networking. I'm working the MS support angle, but it is complicated by the way my business handles support, so I'm not sure if I'll get much help there or not (time will tell). Any other thoughts?