New Lounger
    Thanks

Delayed write failure E:\$Mft

At precisely 3:02pm every day I see "Delayed write error E:\$Mft"

From that point on my Acronis True Image will not back up correctly my daily incremental image. E: is my external USB hard drive which to my knowledge is not in use at that time.

If I unplug the hard drive and reconnect all is well and the problem goes away until 3:02pm the next day.

I have scanned both C & E drives and found no errors

How can I find what is happening at 3:02pm ?

Any help appreciated

Thanks
    Hello ralphrob,

Check Task Scheduler to see if anything is scheduled at that time. Also check the Event Viewer Windows Logs - System and Application Logs for critical errors about that time to see if their are any specific error codes referenced. Perhaps Disk Defragmenter or Indexing (if your OS is Vista or Windows 7) is running at that time every day.

Check your hard drive in Device Manager by right clicking it and looking at the Policies tab to see if Write Caching has been enabled for the external disk. If so, disable it to see if that makes any difference.

Even though you have checked for errors on the disk (assuming chkdsk) download and run the hard disk manufacturer's utility for testing the disk to see if it picks up any problems with the drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes PC Doctor - System Tools was running at 3pm. I don't know where that came from ( maybe Dell) - I have stopped it and we will see.

Thanks for the help