New Lounger
    Thanks

IE9 Update Fails

I am running W7 64bit SP1. Windows update wants me to install IE9, but the installation keeps failing. I have MSE, and Windows Firewall, as well as AVG LinkScanner. On another W7 32 bit machine it installed fine, and appeared to turn off MSE automatically while it did it. I've tried manually disabling both MSE and LinkScanner, but not the Firewall, yet. I also tried downloading the IE9 installer separately, too, but that does the same thing... Anyone have any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you downloading the 64-bit version of IE9?

Have you tried running the installer as administrator?

Have you tried installing in safe mode?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    64 bit version - Yes
    I hadn't tried running as admin, but have now. - Several times. The first time it shut down a long list of programs it didn't like to have running while it installed, including MSE, but the installation still failed. So I tried in Safe mode, and it fails there, too. The error code it returns is 800B100, and that says to run an update preparation utility. So I downloaded that from the link, ran it, and it still fails. I also ran the update repair utility the troubleshooter offered, which said that it had repaired Windows Update, but that hasn't helped, either.

I guess I'll carry on with with IE8 for what I use it for, which is an Exchange VPN, if I can't get to the bottom of it. - I hate to be beaten by these things, though!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 X64 is not the update you ran, try that.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That was it, I'm afraid.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stay with IE 8 if you know what is good for you. I installed IE 9 as an upgrade. Could not access internet at all. It took me a while to be able to uninstall this version. You cannot uninstall with control panel. You have to go through the whole update procedure again to uninstall the upgrade. I am running VISTA. Microsoft has a habit of releasing some upgrades before they are completely ready.

Charles (Mike) Parker

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike1111 View Post
    Stay with IE 8 if you know what is good for you. I installed IE 9 as an upgrade. Could not access internet at all. It took me a while to be able to uninstall this version. You cannot uninstall with control panel. You have to go through the whole update procedure again to uninstall the upgrade. I am running VISTA. Microsoft has a habit of releasing some upgrades before they are completely ready.
    Charles (Mike) Parker
    You can uninstall IE9 from the control panel. You must look at installed updates. Uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 9.

Joe