Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Post Change from C drive to a different default drive

I have s 128GB SSD for my "C" drive with Windows 7 Pro installed. Some programs during installation do not ask what drive to install programs on, just put them on "C". How do I change from "C" to another drive as a default?

Thanks
    What apps are you specifically referring to? Most apps I am aware of ask for an installation path.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the applications was Roxio 7, which I used for sound editing. I bought Roxio 11, but I don't like it, even if it did ask for the path.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another one is Bias Sound Saver, which just arrived today in the mail.

Thanks
    Sorry, I do not know either of these 2. Perhaps some one else can chime in here.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If the vendor does not give you the opportunity to change the installation path you are out of luck. That is just the way the setup program is designed.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess my only option is to attempt to move them after installation. I didn't want to do that as my "C" drive is an 128 GB SSD.

Thanks
    I have read that Laplink will do what you are proposing. However, it is not free.

bbearren has posted a method in another forum a couple of years ago. See this method here. It is somewhat complex and not for the faint of heart, but does work. Perhaps he can chime in and update his explanation to this forum.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Most installs have a "Custom" option, there is where one MAY be able to change the location. I am sure that Roxio has this option, as I have run it from may D drive for years on a old XP machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My version 11 had this option, my version 7 (which I like best) does not have this option.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should not attempt to move them after the installation since the registry entries for the program will be set to the original install location.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Games downloaded from the Steam game site also go into C:\Program Files, and don't give you the option of placing them elsewhere. Considering that games can take up 20GB or space or more, it seem incomprehensible to me that Steam you not allow you to change drives. Various posts have appeared on the Steam forums about this it seems that Steam could care less. The only options are to spend your money elsewhere (which is hard to do if you got the game for free) or expand your C: drive. Since I did get the game for free (it was a free download that came with a graphics card) I finally bit the bullet and let the C: drive have all of the 500GB hard drive (I move the data from the second partition to another hard drive). I miss the good old days of NT 3.5 which actually asked you at installation time where you wanted to place key folders such as "Documents and Settings", "Windows" and "Program File" (though they were not called by those names at that time, I think they were "users", "winnt" and "winapps", respectively).

What I have done before when I had a cramped C: drive with no option to expand it was to redirect every piece of software that did allow me to specify an alternate location to a different drive. This kept the C:\Program Files size down to a reasonable amount. Some apps that hog a lot of disk space (Office for one) let you place them elsewhere, though you do have to choose the "advanced installation" option.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Guess I'm not the only one with the problem. My "C" drive is a 128GB SSD, but what I'm really worried about is loading & erasing information on it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Steam has an option to install programs to a different drive. I do it all the time. I'm at work now so I can't tell you how to change the location but I'm sure that if you poke around in the Steam Help you'll be able to locate it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Some suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by tedshemyers View Post
    bbearren has posted a method in another forum a couple of years ago. See this method here.
    A direct link can be found here: http://www.bbearren.com/set7free/set7free.html I have used this to move the Users Folder to another drive in a new installation - when I need to reinstall Windows on my main PC, I will do it with Users, ProgramData, and possibly Program Files as well. Make sure you have backups before you proceed, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by ffool658 View Post
    Steam has an option to install programs to a different drive. I do it all the time. I'm at work now so I can't tell you how to change the location but I'm sure that if you poke around in the Steam Help you'll be able to locate it.
    I was going to post something similar to this...

The help topic is located here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7418-YUBN-8129 - it seems that you can simply move the steam.exe and the Steamapps folder to your desired location (eg D:\Steam) and it will automatically update itself.

You might also want to try Steam Mover @ http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover - This seems to automate the process that bbearren uses. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to be a winner. It also allows you to move certain steam apps without moving the entire folder.

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast