Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstaller looks for non-existant "source" or install file

I am running Win 7 Home Premium SP1.

Over several months I have periodically been stopped by a strange problem when trying to uninstall a program or update to a new version. I have seen this occasionally on various programs.

This afternoon it happened again when a Microsoft web page insisted I update silverlight before it would allow me to find what I wanted. The update stalled, looking for a "source" file on a drive letter I use sometimes for a USB drive. The directory name it wanted was a typical MS jumble of characters, as one sees in some download directories. I very much doubt there was ever such a folder on any drive connected via that drive letter. Control panel uninstall also failed in the same way. Revo uninstall allows the regular uninstall to run and it failed, but Revo continued and got rid of everything. That allowed me to browse the required MS web page without being bothered again about silverlight (which I don't want anyway).

But: The problem has occurred previously with other uninstalls or updates, and so is not related to Silverlight. Would I be right in thinking some registry pointer to a temporary (?) download area has become corrupted somehow?

Does anyone have ideas on how I can get uninstalls and updates running correctly again?

Thanks
    The first thing I would do is run sfc /scannow from an Administrator level command prompt.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, bbearren.
    I have been away for a few days, hence late response.
    I ran SFC as you suggested and the result was "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Glad to see that it say that, but it doesn't help us much with this problem.

It may or may not be due to the same underlying problem that of this week's Windows updates, the .NET framework fix (KB2446708) failed to install, error code 000006A, for which the Windows Help system offers no help! The restinstalled correctly.