Thanks

Sections, Margins, and Word 2010

I have a document that I want to have 1 inch margins on page 1, inch margins on pages 2 through however many pages it takes to complete this section, and then, again, 1 inch margins for the rest.

If I set these pages up with sections, how do I do that but keep the headers and footers all with 1" margins -- even ion that first page that has inch margins for the body?

Chuck Billow

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mixed Margins etc

Hi Chuck
    Try beginning the section with the narrow margins with a continuous sectnbreak that follows immediately after the next page section break.

next page sectn brk
    continuous sectn break
    ---
    ----
    next page sectn break

Geof

Thanks
    On the third tab of the old Page Setup dialog, there is a margin setting for the distance from the header and footer content to the edge of the page. This usually is 0.5". The additional spacing between that text and the body is determined by the margins of the body. Word will automatically make additional space for the header/footer text by enlarging the margin on the body if there is a danger of overlap. Thus, you can't have a half-inch margin on the body unless you adjust the margin of the header/footer. I think you might have to experiment to see what actually works for your content.

Thanks
    Geof, that seems to work! Thanks.

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    On the third tab of the old Page Setup dialog, there is a margin setting for the distance from the header and footer content to the edge of the page. This usually is 0.5". The additional spacing between that text and the body is determined by the margins of the body. Word will automatically make additional space for the header/footer text by enlarging the margin on the body if there is a danger of overlap. Thus, you can't have a half-inch margin on the body unless you adjust the margin of the header/footer. I think you might have to experiment to see what actually works for your content.
    Jefferson, so I'm assuming that I can then just leave added room at the top, and let the other three at 1 /2 ". I'll give a shot. Thanks, Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can make it more automatic, and eliminate the need to add a continuous section break if you use the "Different first page" setting for your headers and footers (in the Page Setup dialog; Layout tab). Set the Margins you want for the 2nd+ pages, then on the checkbox in the Layout tab. Define the header/footers for page 2+ with no space above (for a footer) or below (for a header). Then set up your first page header/footers with space above or below to "push" the effective text area up or down to give you the extra margin area you need.

This is handy in books where the chapter title is set partway down on the first page of a chapter. The chapter section has margins set for all pages, but the first page has a header (the title) set with extra space above it to push the effective text area down -- and often a centered page number at the bottom with a bit more space above it to push the text area up. As text flows to the 2nd and subsequent pages, the header/footers defined for them don't have space so the margins work as set.

Thanks
    Thanks! Chuck