Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation SP1 Munges XP Mode

Consensus seems to be that SP1 is pretty innocuous. But that wasn't my experience. As soon as I had upgraded to SP1, my XP Mode began reporting an inability to enable integration features. I tried going back to earlier restore points, which seemed only to make things worse.

After much effort and angst, I was able to limp my way back to productivity, uninstalling SP1, fixing the stuff System Restore broke, uninstalling XP Mode, Reinstalling it and reinstalling all my essential XP Mode applications.

Now I'm terrified to upgrade to SP1 again. Has anyone else had success with SP1 not disabling XP Mode integration features?
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    After SP1 was installed, on running XP mode, it offered to enable integration features again. I accepted that and all went fine.

I suggest that you backup your system before installing SP1 again. Making a system image is probably the best way to recover if anything goes wrong.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ... yes, I'll want a new system image before I do that, just in case. Is the built-in Windows Backup adequate for that? I've used it within the last couple of days to make a current drive image ... if I need to restore, do I need all the Windows nightly data backups since the drive image? Or are the Windows nightly backups differential backups as opposed to incrementals?
    Last edited by btreloar; 2011-04-11 at 19:12.
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Sorry, never used Windows backup. I have used Acronis True Image since before Windows had imaging.

Macrium Reflect is free and seems to be very much appreciated by the Lounge's members. Maybe give it a try, surely is more bullet proof than Windows backup.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btreloar View Post
    Thanks ... yes, I'll want a new system image before I do that, just in case. Is the built-in Windows Backup adequate for that? I've used it within the last couple of days to make a current drive image ... if I need to restore, do I need all the Windows nightly data backups since the drive image? Or are the Windows nightly backups differential backups as opposed to incrementals?
    This is one reason why I moved all data to a separate partition. I can do incremental backups which are not touched if I have to restore from an Image.

I recreate a new Image when ever a change takes place on my PC, i.e. new app installed, upgrade to the OS or app, app uninstalled, things like that. It is surprising how often these things are changed. When you restore, the closer the Image is in time to the event causing the restore to be necessary, the less work to restore. If data is on a separate drive, then the incremental backups are still just as they were, even if you had to restore the C drive because of a problem.

I also find the 3rd party apps have more features to allow you to do more things, easier. I also use Acronis True Image, but have also read good things about Macrium Reflect. Either will be very good alternatives to Win 7 Backup and Restore.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy