Lounger
    Thanks

Question 32bit games on a 64bit system

How do I if at all possible run some of my older 32bit games on my newer 64bit system. When trying to load the game a screen says its unable to run on 64bit. Am I just out of luck or can I change a setting to allow it to accept it?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you get the error when you install the game or after installation when you run the game?

Joe

Thanks
    Most 32 bit apps (games included) will run just fine on a 64 Bit system. I would suspect something else is amiss. Are you sure the game installed correctly? Is your Windows OS up to date? Are you sure the games are 32 Bit and not 16 Bit? (16 Bit generally will not run on 64 Bit)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    During installation

Lounger
    Thanks
    It may very well be a 16bit game, haven't tried in a while to install so can't remember. But if it is , is there a way around it?
    Am running Windows 7 home premium 64b.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried running the installer in compatability mode? Right click the installer .exe or .msi and select properties. Click on the compatability tab and select the OS which you think will work (i.e. most likely XP).

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    During installation
    If the game is really old it could be that the installer is a 16-bit installer.

One thing you can try is install the game on a 32-bit machine and then simply copy the installation directory to your "c:\Program Files (x86)" directory. Then make a shortcut to the exe that runs the game. You might also need to copy the registry entries - on the 32-bit machine find the entries for the game and export them and then load them on the 64-bit machine. Unless the installer does really screwy things, this should work.

Of course the other option is to load a 32-bit OS into a virtual machine (either within Virtual PC or VirtualBox) and install the game in there. This is how I run StarCraft, and the game is still very responsive.

Thanks
    Older games, and many not so old, will also need the latest version of DirectX 9C installed - it won't overwrite the DX11 installed but it will fill in the gaps to make W7 fully DX9 compatible.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very old games never had to deal with being loaded in a 64-bit Operating System. Older games are setup to be installed in C:\Programs File\ etc. C:\Programs Files\ is where 64-bit programs and apps are installed in 64-bit OSs. So you have to modify the game's install dialog box when it usually asks where you want to install the game or it just displays where it will install the game and asks you to OK it. Remember that 32-bit games and 32-bit programs are installed in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ program folder and NOT the C:\Program Files\ program folder. That is why there are 2 Program Files folders at the root of C:\ drive with Windows 7 64-bit.

So on the game install dialog box add (x86) with a space between the words Program Files and \ so it looks like this C:\Program Files (x86)\ game name\etc\. and it should load.

It still may not work for other reasons but I can usually get my old games to load as long as they were made for Windows 98. That's my experience.

Jimmy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With this error message, your game is NOT a 32 bit but a 16 bit game.
    You will need to go to the source and get a 32 bit or better copy.
    Sorry.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you can't get it running, see if the game is listed on GOG.com

They've updated a lot of old games to run in Win7 without any modification by the user.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone who replied to this. I will try all of the suggested solutions and keep my fingers crossed.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are running win7 Pro or higher you might try xp mode. It's a free download and gives you a full legal licensed copy of xp within windows 7. May still not work with what is obviously a 16 bit installer. Good Luck