Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Cooling Modification

Hello all,
    Most time i am running 4 Hard Drives (sometimes 5 ) and two CD\DVD-RW in my small HP-Pavilion Desktop.. Needless to say cooling at times is a problem. Most times i just run with the side panel off , But found a better option... You can purchase "Perforated Metal" (various on line suppliers) and "open up" your PC's breathing capabilities. Yes i know that it requires some tools ...but not many ( drill motor and a pair of tin snips) Thought that this turned out pretty well, and that some might like to see it. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Good advice! I also run with sides off, primarily because of the HDDs. Did you add a higher volume fan or an additional fan to pull enough air through all the openings to get the air to flow where it's needed?
    PJ in FL

Thanks
    Looks to me that your idea is full of holes! (ho-ho!)

As PJ said, wouldn't a better and bigger fan (or fans) have provided the airflow where the manufacturer thought it should go?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Looks to me that your idea is full of holes! (ho-ho!)

As PJ said, wouldn't a better and bigger fan (or fans) have provided the airflow where the manufacturer thought it should go?
    BATcher, PJ,
    Hello...Yes... The new Power Supply (Corsair) has a larger fan than the original, and the "holes " in the case were anemic to start with. The HP only came equipped with one Hard Drive and CD\DVD-RW. I have also added a Video card (GT 240) that has it's own Fan. As you can see that i have modified the interior quite a bit with home built Hard Drive holders...leaving very little space. I guess my next step would be a larger case...For now this seems to work. Also i have re-applied all heat sinks with "Arctic Silver" thermo compound, which has helped to keep things a bit cooler than the original "Thermal Pads" I will look into replacing the "stock fan" in the rear of the enclosure, with one that has "more guts" Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    I will look into replacing the "stock fan" in the rear of the enclosure, with one that has "more guts"
    Better price some warehouse fans like this to get enough air to cool that hardware!
    PJ in FL

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A better idea might be to get some hard drive docking stations so can position the drives outside the case and be easy to swap around. Can also get Esata back plates to connect with sata speeds.

Thanks
    Looks like you've outgrown your case Fred...But if it's (the mod) working out for you (temperature wise), then keep it.

I've also got 6 drives, but I have elected to use the CD-ROM drive bays in conjunction with HDD coolers for 2 of the more
    'warmer' running drives.
    Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-04-14 at 21:14.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fan is never a good solution. Maintenance is needed to keep it clean. And fan may fail.
    Best solution is fan-less. The next best is the open case. The 3rd best is your perforated box. Perforated box is preferred, as it boxes out electromagnetic noise from 'dirtying' your environment (wireless phone, Wifi, etc.).
    Water cool or active cooling is preferred, like main frames. You might want to use liquid cooling and tubing to bring the hot from hot spots to the PC entire metal case. Use the metal case as heat sink. It is a much better solution. It is quieter too: only the power supply fan is running.

Thanks
    I have 4 hard drives.
    When I built my PC I used an Antec server case---plenty of room---and all my drives are in extra bays that have two case fans blowing in the front of each bay so air passes over the drives... Two exhaust fans in the rear and one in the side of the case. (five fans total)

Keeping the case and fans clean are important...

Every now and then I open the side of the case and use an air brush to blow it out...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"