Star Lounger
    Thanks

What can I expect upgrading from Starter to Home Premium on a netbook?

OK. I took the plunge and increased the memory in my netbook to 2GB. Now I'm tempted to upgrade to Home Premium, but I'd like to first understand what I'll get and what I won't get. I'm pretty sure Aero Glass will be turned off. What about other things? Will I get thumbnail previews from the taskbar or just text? Will Premium load so much additional stuff on start up that my memory upgrade won't amount to much improvement? Will overall performance suffer trying to run Premium with a 1.66GHz processor? Do the premium games require Glass? Getting Mahjong and Chess is a major reason for upgrading.

I'm hoping others have gone this route before me and can help me decide if it's worth upgrading. Performance is my key concern and what won't be available with Glass turned off.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Last edited by chowur; 2011-04-12 at 14:52. Reason: add another link
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have not done this, yet. But I've read of others who have. Here's a list of feature comparisons: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare. Note that Starter is eligiable for the Anytime upgrade. What this means is that the components for for all version of Windows are already there, you just need to unlock them. That said, there will some additional overhead, but it should run fine. Thumbnail previews are part of the Aero Interface. But I think you should be able to run the Upgrade Advisor to see if Aero is supported. I would be surprised if its not.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info and the links. I downloaded and ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Adviser from one of the sites. It said my Acer Aspire One netbook was capable of all Home Premium features including Aero. That surprised me since the Windows Experience Index for Aero on my netbook is only 2.8. I decided to go ahead, and used Anytime Upgrade to install Home Premium. Everything is functioning properly and looks great, including the premium games. I get the taskbar thumbnails and the transparent Aero effect. Without any programs running (but Open Office preloaded) my memory utilization is only 31%. In fact, the per cent of memory utilization on my netbook with 2GB of RAM is almost identical to that on my 64 bit laptop with 3GB of RAM. Suffice it to say, I'm quite pleased with the results, even if I do have to sit close and use my bifocals.

Thanks
    Heck, many of use have to use our bifocals even with desktop replacement sized laptops! Glad your netbook was able to be upgraded. Win 7 has wider acceptability than many realize.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good to hear! Now you'll want to make an image of it. I use Acronis Netbook Edition on my wife's netbook. Its quite a bit cheaper than the the "full" version and still has all the functionality (at least I haven't found any real limitations to it!). http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage-netbook/.
    Chuck

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After further testing I did uncover a situation where the netbook would always recognize my 2GB memory upgrade on Startup, but it would revert back to thinking it only had 1GB after a Restart. It took a BIOS update to resolve that issue. Now all appears well.

I am an ardent "backup'er." I have a Seagate 1TB NAS which includes an Acronis product called BlackArmor Backup. I routinely do an image backup of both my netbook and my notebook to the NAS, and a also do frequent Windows Backups to an external USB drive. You can't be overly backed up!