New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 upgrade works except for sleep/hibernate modes?

The upgrade of my old Toshiba A35 laptop went smoothly. You know the drill load, restart, restart again and again . . . So after loading all the updates and reinstalling software I noticed the only remaining error was no driver available for the Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller. So I thought no big deal - it loads a VGA pnp driver which works well enough. The only outstanding defect was the lack of aero display and poor display of DVD content. I can live with this!

But what I eventually found out that since Windows loaded a non-manufacturer driver which by default disables all low power states. That was the best feature of this old laptop, it just sat by the couch, sound asleep, ready to be useful with 5 seconds of opening the lid.

Intel and Toshiba are definately not supporting Windows 7 with this chipset since it isn't fully compliant with the video specs. There must be some workaround to enable sleep and hibernate. If I only knew the lines in the registry (or driver file) to modify. Any thoughts out there?

i've tried using the XP drivers to no avail and update all the bios and firmware to the most current.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If there is a Vista driver you should try that.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

vista drivers?

i've tried many of the later version drivers - a few people claimed temprorary or more permanant success. But while i could get a few of the drivers to load and eliminate the video driver error none of them were persistant. They uniformily were updated on restarting. I even tried one fellows method of taking ownership of the VGApnp.sys file and disabling it to prevent Windows7 from reloading. - It did prevent a reload, but Windows 7 just went ahead and disabled the XP driver I had loaded.

Further digginging on google and bing indicated that they were all XP drivers even though some claimed they were Vista. Additionally the digging revealed the power issue too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If there are not BIOS and/or driver updates for Windows 7 compatibility you are out of luck.

Joe

Thanks
    Unfortunately MS could not make Win 7 universally compatible. With this older PC you are probably fortunate to get Win 7 working as well as you have. As Joe states in this case you are most likely out of luck. The PC manufacturers want you to upgrade your hardware as well, so I would doubt that if they have not already issued newer drivers that they are ever going to issue new drivers, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy