Lounger
    Thanks

System Image--Space Use

Hello All:

I understand how to do a system image backup but am confused as to the continual use of space. I got a new PC with Windows 7 Ultimate back in Nov. of 2010 and shortly afterwards transfered a lot of data and pictures to it from two other computers. Then I made a complete system image of "C" and then a system repair disk. The system image is on my external Seagate 1 tb drive that I also use daily to back up my data. The space required to make the image was around 40 gb. Now about 5 months have passed and I want to make a new system image but there goes another 40 gb.

My confusion is that in fairly rapid order would a person not end up with boxes of external drives which equal dollars? Or is the previous system image deletable? What am not seeing here????

I just purchased Acronis True Image Home 2011 but have not had a chance to load it yet. Is this going answer my delima????????

Thanks in advance for enlightning me............Glenn

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Once you have a new system image you may delete the older image if you do not feel the need to keep it. Management of images is up to you.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AuAgHunter View Post

What am not seeing here????

I just purchased Acronis True Image Home 2011 but have not had a chance to load it yet. Is this going answer my delima????????
    Glenn,
    Hello...With Acronis, The Image of you drive will be smaller...Because it uses "compression" On my OS (approx 25GB) the images will end up about 9GB per "Image". Windows Imaging, a far as i can tell does not use "compression" or if it does at all it's not very "aggressive" Before you install Acronis 2011 i suggest that you read through their forum...As some have a real problem with 2011 http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acro...-true-image-ho Regards Fred

PS: After thinking about your question ...If i were you i would first....
    1. Grab a free copy of "Macrium Reflect" http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp and install it ...Read through the Help Manual.
    2. Make an Image using Macrium...Before installing Acronis ! (Then if all goes well with the TI install... YEA!!)
    3. The reason is... once installed (Acronis) no matter what anyone tells you ...you can't totally remove it if something goes "wrong" with the install. Seems there are hidden files that are impossible to find or remove... been down this road many times. At that point the only way is to go (to correct some TI "quirk") back to a time before you installed Acronis, and try again.
    4.I use Macrium as well as Acronis 2010 v-7046, and Macrium does not have many of the features of TI... but in it's basic function...It does the job ...and can be removed .
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-04-13 at 10:08.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    If you are storing your Images on a 1 TB ext HD, it will take many Images to fill this Ext HD. I generally only keep my latest 6 or 8 Images and have Images for 3 separate PC's and use less than half the available space on the Ext HD. I just do not believe this is a major problem unless you plan on keeping all Images and have dozens of them.

Also, as Fred has mentioned, most 3rd party Imaging apps do use compression so your 40 GB will compress to something in the range of 20 to 25 GB based on my experiences. At this rate it would take something like 35 or 40 Images to fill a 1 TB Ext HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you have Acronis TI installed, you'll see that you can use the 'clone' option. I use two inexpensive hard drives from eBay, the same size as the one I use for C: in my machine. Every month I make a new clone of C:, overwriting the oldest one. The clone copies all partitions, so if you have a recovery partition, it will be on your cloned disk, too.

The clone will boot and give me a fully working system, as of the date I made that clone. If my regular hard drive dies or becomes crippled by a virus, I just boot the clone and I'm back in business in minutes.

To restore individual data files, just add the clone to the machine as a second drive and cut & paste from the clone to the drive you're restoring data to.

In clone mode, the machine goes into a DOS-type state, which means you can't use it for anything else while it's making the clone. With my machine it takes a little over a minute per each gb to complete the operation (150 GB = 2.5 hours).

Thanks
    Clones are a valid possibility, but not as easily used by us Laptop users. To create a clone you have to attach both HD simultaneously, then "copy" or clone the original HD to the spare HD. In a laptop senario this is not nearly as easily done. This is why I choose Images. I can store my Images on an Ext USB HD (as stated previously I can store a significant number of different Images if I so choose). If my HD dies, then yes, I would have to axquire another HD, install it, then boot to my Acronis rescue media and restore to the new HD. Very easily done in less than 10 minutes. I would then partition the new HD and restore all my data as well (Since my data is not large by some standards I include both my C drive and D drive in my Images.)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems the C: driver grows too much. Please use CCleaner (google it) to clean out temp file folders, and other junk. At least clean out trash basket, recycle bin.
    Depending on your virtual page file size. You might want to check if it is too large. Keep it less than 6G. It is plenty already at 6G. Best is move it to another partition. The Page file does not need to backup. Also, move to other drives, those folders/files not needed in the C: drive, such as download file folder, etc.