Thread: User Accounts

Thanks

Cool User Accounts

Hi Loungers
    On my Laptop running Windows 7 Home Prem 32bit, I have only one user account (administrator) all programs were installed by first unblocking them then installed by ' Run as Administrator'.
    I want to know what will/could happen if I add another Administrator Account, then change my original to a 'Standard Account'
    I realise this is a question that will envoke many suggestions, please don't. Once I get info requested I will pose more as required.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    You will then just have 2 accounts capable of signing into your PC. The first which is presently an administrator account would loose it's ability to do the things an administrator can do, but you should not loose anything done before this. The second would then gain those things. Just ensure you set up the second account first before changing the first as you might not be able to then change things any more. Unless I guess you were to cause the hidden administrator account to be shown. Perhaps this would allow you to change your present account to a standard account without setting up a new administrator account. Hmmmmm!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right click on command prompt and click run as administrator.
    Then type net user administrator /active:yes You can then change your first account to standard user. To hide administrator account just repeat command changing yes to no. You can toggle administrator account on or off using this command. Very easy.

Rich

Thanks
    Hi Ted, I have been testing my proposed plan (after ATI backup) and have'nt encountered any problem. The main part is I want the 'Standard' account to log on automatically.
    Do you know if it is possible ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, are you asking if the installed program will encounter any problems due to the change? If so, the only issue I can think of is if there is a folder that has exclusive permissions set by the application that require full admin access. Most consumer level software does not behave like this, but a lot of business apps do. I doubt very much you'd have an issue with it.

As far as the log on automatically, follow these steps if Windows is prompting you to log on:

• In the Search box, type "control userpasswords2" (no quotes), and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
    • In the "Automatically Log On" dialog box, type your password, and then click OK.
    • In the "User Accounts" dialog box, click OK.
      After you restart your computer, you will be able to log on automatically.

I hope that helps!
    Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post
    Then type net user administrator /active:yes You can then change your first account to standard user. To hide administrator account just repeat command changing yes to no. You can toggle administrator account on or off using this command. Very easy.

Rich
    Hi Rich, I'm afraid your post was too late, as I have done what I hoped to do, and it works how I want.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
    Roderunner, are you asking if the installed program will encounter any problems due to the change? If so, the only issue I can think of is if there is a folder that has exclusive permissions set by the application that require full admin access. Most consumer level software does not behave like this, but a lot of business apps do. I doubt very much you'd have an issue with it.

As far as the log on automatically, follow these steps if Windows is prompting you to log on:

• In the Search box, type "control userpasswords2" (no quotes), and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" check box, and then click Apply.
    • In the "Automatically Log On" dialog box, type your password, and then click OK.
    • In the "User Accounts" dialog box, click OK.
      After you restart your computer, you will be able to log on automatically.

I hope that helps!
    Hi Doc Brown & Rich, My original admin account was set with a password, but set to 'sign on' without having to type it. my new admin account did not need this to be applied, that was after changing original account to 'Standard'.
    Now when my Laptop starts, I'm automatically logged on to my 'Standard' account. So far ALL my few installed programs are working.

Attachment 27874

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two comments:

The settings for your alternate account(s) will be different from the original: all of the tweaks, spellings, and even language(s) can be different and at the outset will be different unless you still have nothing but the defaults in your original account.

Remember that the Public user holds data to which all users have access, and I note that certain software publishers are increasingly using it to hold such things as fonts that are not installed in Windows\fonts. If you are actively using multiple accounts, it's a dandy place to store reference materials, manuals, and that sort of thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlfvt View Post

Rich
    There is a "Gotcha" in your suggestion. The default Administrator account can only be enabled by an account that is a member of the Administrators Group. When one right-clicks and selects "Run as administrator", a password box pops up. If the default Administrator account is disabled, the password for that account won't work, and "Run as administrator" is unavailable if there is no other account in the Administrators Group.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows