New Lounger
    Thanks

Boot Time Increased

Until today my time to boot Windows XP Home was just over one minute. However, after today's MS updates my boot time has increased to nearly three minutes. In addition, status bar icons for Mailwasher, Vipre and other programs do not appear for another several minutes, when the desktop flashes and all missing icons appear. The only icons which appear immediately on bootup are WinPatrol and OS volume control. I can only hope that the security function is operating during the interim.

Apart from the numerous security patches to the Windows OS, the only change I can see of possible significance after the updating is that my version of .NET (needed for MailWasher, sigh) has been increased from 3.5 to 4.0.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Am I expecting too much of my system?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not unheard of when installing patches. Do you have an image of your PC? One option would be to reimage, then install the patches one at a time to see what the issue is. Of course with the number of patches today, that's not an attractive option. Try uninstalling .Net 4 and see how it behaves. I guess I'm a little surprised that they pushed .Net 4, but check Add/Remove programs. 3.5 should still be there. I haven't seen .Net to overwrite previous versions due to application compatibility.
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You might want to wait a bit before taking any action. If you have any search product it has to update search indexes. If you have any defrag program that runs automatically it will have more to do than normal. After waiting a day or two, try re-booting a couple more times to see if it has settled down. If not then check into what is happening at boot time with Autoruns or WhatIn Startup.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Cynic

If you notice that much of a difference ,something is definitely going on in the background.
    One way to find out is to use Soluto. http://www.soluto.com/
    It'll give you a "blow-by-blow " account what's taking the time to load.
    Interesting program.

Pete.

PS Watch the video and it'll become clear what it does
    Last edited by DiggerP; 2011-04-14 at 00:53. Reason: added comment

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankfully, with that many updates I had previously done an Acronis image [note my user name - previous scars], but [sigh] what an eternity to run. However, rolled back and this time installed the updates manually; with the exception of .Net4 which can wait until I recover my composure. After a defrag can now boot as per previous time of about one minute. A lesson learned; manual update installation. Thanks guys.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After recovering the situation and my composure with the Acronis backup my boot time returned to its previous acceptable level. I then discovered that the indispensable MailWasher utility requires NET 4 [big sigh] so it was again installed. The very slow boot time immediately returned so clearly NET 4 was the culprit. However further testing shows that after about half a dozen reboots this delay is gradually reduced down to the previous acceptable level. Does this mean that NET 4 requires time to bed itself in?

Thanks
    See Joe's post #3. This may be what's happening in your case.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy