iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Recover from an Adobe update failure

LANGALIST PLUS

Recover from an Adobe update failure

By Fred Langa

Adobe's offerings can present more than their fair share of installation issues.

But there are plenty of options for repairing, reinstalling, or replacing problematic software.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2011/04/14/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding Microsoft's free OneCare Safety Scanner -- the last time I tried, it did not work on Win7 x64 systems. Still works great on XP!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding the issue with Firefox 4 and RoboForm 6 not working together - I found a way to fix this. I went to http://www.roboform.com/platforms/browsers/firefox where I could download a Firefox addon named roboform-firefox-3-4-frozen.xpi. When I installed this, RoboForm Pro 6 worked perfectly in Firefox 4.

New Lounger
    Thanks

confused about Microsoft safety & security offerings

Microsoft offers their Safety Scanner, the MRT, and Microsoft Seciurity Essentials... where is the overlap, or what is the difference? What combination of these products makes sense?

I run 32-bit and 64-bit Win 7 systems with Microsoft Security Essentials, and I get Microsoft's MRT with my monthly updates. Should I also be manually running the MRT and/or using the Microsoft Safety Scanner?

Thanks,
    Ken

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried running msert.exe on a windows XP system. It did a scan, but did not offer any of the other services, such as registry cleaning. Are those features not available in XP, or am I running the wrong program.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcburns View Post
    Microsoft offers their Safety Scanner, the MRT, and Microsoft Seciurity Essentials... where is the overlap, or what is the difference? What combination of these products makes sense?

I run 32-bit and 64-bit Win 7 systems with Microsoft Security Essentials, and I get Microsoft's MRT with my monthly updates. Should I also be manually running the MRT and/or using the Microsoft Safety Scanner?

Thanks,
    Ken
    MRT is automatically run when it is updated. You may run it again if you think there is a need. The only reason to run another scanner is to provide another opinion on the "cleanliness" of your system. Most would recommend a product from another company just to be safe. One such as the freee version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    You seem to have a different idea of what the word, "free" means than I do.
    I think it means something does NOT cost ANY money.
    I went to the Piraform website, (through your link,) to get CCleaner, which you stated was free, and they want me to pay $24.95.

Care to explain?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, do I actually have to come back here and spend an inordinate amount of time searching out an answer or do I get sent my answer?
    It doesn't seem very user friendly if you force someone to waste their time with false recommendations and then make them search for their answer, too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joubaur View Post
    Oh, do I actually have to come back here and spend an inordinate amount of time searching out an answer or do I get sent my answer?
    It doesn't seem very user friendly if you force someone to waste their time with false recommendations and then make them search for their answer, too.
    The $24.95 is for Priority Support, not the Free Edition. Go to the CCleaner download page and look a little below the $24.95 Priority Support notification.

CCleaner.JPG

Click one of the highlighted links to download your Free Edition of CCleaner. As you can see, there was no false recommendation from Fred concerning CCleaner. Let's try to be civil in the forums.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-04-15 at 16:11. Reason: Enable Link

Thanks
    Spending the time searching through the various forums is time well spent in my book. Perhaps in addition to finding an answer to your question, you might learn something about your PC you have not seen or thought of previously. I do not believe this is a "waste of time".

I have also found in my experience, that searching for an answer and reading various theories about possible answers is how info sticks in my mind. No, you will not be sent and answer, but then I do not know of any forum that will send you answers for free. Take the time to search through these forums, perhaps you will learn something!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    You seem to have a different idea of what the word, "free" means than I do.
    I think it means something does NOT cost ANY money.
    I went to the Piraform website, (through your link,) to get CCleaner, which you stated was free, and they want me to pay $24.95.

Care to explain?
    You misspelled Piriform. You never need to pay for the genuine CCleaner. The web page for the download is HERE .

What you seem to have seen is the new Piriform offer of enhanced technical support. This is something I have not seen at their download page before today. I think this is a cheap shot on Piriform's part, aimed at fooling people into thinking they need to pay for support in order to download the CCleaner free product. This is not true, and I would like to put Piriform on notice that their deceptive practices are NOT appreciated by long-time users of their free products!

The main, big green download button at the Piriform web site is indeed an attempt to sell unnecessary "premium support" to unsuspecting visitors who do not read closely before clicking on buttons on web pages. Which means, unfortunately, most home users.

Be that as it may, you only need to click on the little underlined link to download CCleaner from Piriform or from Filehippo, and you will not be asked to pay for premium support. I just went through the download process, and I was not confronted with any requirement to buy the support offer. If you go directly to Filehippo.com and download CCleaner Free, you will never see anything implying you need to pay anyone anything to download and use CCleaner.

This is a user forum, not a personal dialog between individuals and the Windows Secrets contributors. What you get here is input from a wide variety of members. Some of whom are very reliable, others mostly reliable, and frankly, a few are almost never reliable. Throwing insults will not improve your chances of getting the best answers from the most experienced members. If you don't want to sort and sift through divergent advice and opinions, I suggest not using a user forum like this one.

To keep track of answers to your questions here, it is possible to subscribe to a thread. Under Thread Tools at the very top of any thread, the drop-down menu includes this option. It is opt-in on a per-thread basis. (You can later unsubscribe.) Then you get a daily collection of all replies to the thread in your email inbox. That's as close to personal service as any public forum is likely to give anyone. If you want to get answers only to your specific question, you can always start a new thread.

CCleaner is entirely free to download and use, and it does just what it is supposed to do -- it cleans the unwanted junk out of your computer with a single cleanup operation. I use it on both of my computers.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-04-17 at 04:17.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    On a totally different note, Fred says he does not know of any comprehensive tune-up and clean-up tools. Well, it isn't free, but PC Pitstop has advertised in the Windows Secrets Newsletter for quite some time for their PCMatic optimizing software. There is a free online scan which gives the same information as the software, but actually running their optimizer is never free. Still, this is an all-in-one tool which has an excellent reputation, and might be able to clean up things after a failed Adobe installation. The paid version of RevoUninstaller can also clean up after failed software installations, especially in the Windows Registry. And the paid version of Revo does clean up 64-bit installations as well as 32-bit installations, even when the program's uninstaller is not available or corrupted. About the only things these programs aren't very good at cleaning up are Norton and McAfee security programs.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

Necessary Duplicate files

Fred:

How do you decide if a duplicate file is required by the system? In Windows Vista and Windows 7 the SXS folder has lots of duplicate files. In Windows XP there are several i386 folders. One of them C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache is usually over 100 Megabytes in size. And the i386 folder in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles is usually over 500 Megabytes in size. Are the contents of these folders really necessary?

Merlin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin the Wizard View Post
    Fred:

How do you decide if a duplicate file is required by the system? In Windows Vista and Windows 7 the SXS folder has lots of duplicate files. In Windows XP there are several i386 folders. One of them C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache is usually over 100 Megabytes in size. And the i386 folder in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles is usually over 500 Megabytes in size. Are the contents of these folders really necessary?

Merlin
    I recommend you leave all the files under c:\windows alone. Consider anything under that folder to be critical to the proper operation of Windows. With today's large disk drives it is not worth the time & effort to determine absolutely if a file under c:\windows is OK to delete. The files in the SXS folder allow multiple versions of the same software to exist at the same time. That allows programs which require a particular version of something such as a programming language run time to function properly. The ServicePackFiles folder contains all the files installed with the last service pack and allows SFC (System File Checker) to run correctly against an updated system. The Driver Cache folder contains drivers for devices that Windows knows about. If you delete files from there XP will not be able to install PnP devices. That means if you have USB devices and move them from one port to another Windows will reinstall the drivers. If the drivers are not in the folder you'll need to provide a path to the drivers.

Joe