Thanks

SATA Drive Disappears from Win XP after Sleep mode

My WinXP PC has a IDE HDD (OS drive) and an SATA drive (Data). I have added a 2nd SATA drive (2GB) and partitioned it into 2 drives. On the first of these partitions I have installed a Win 7 to dual boot with WinXP. When booting from WinXP all 4 drives (plus 2 DVD drives) can be accessed.
    I use Sleep mode in WinXP due to the excessive boot time (8 minutes). In WinXP when I return from Sleep the 2 drives on the new SATA HDD are invisible. Is there a way that I can return these drives so they can be accessed other than by rebooting?

Many Thanks
    Neilm

Thanks
    1. Stop using that old slow IDE drive for your OS. It's running at 1/10 (or less) the speed of the SATA drive.
    Your OS should always be on the fastest drive you own.

2. Stop using SLEEP....it's well known to be unreliable. If your PC is taking way too long to boot up, first get your OS onto a SATA drive and then find out and fix the reason for the slow boot-up.
    We've discussed slow boot, in great detail on this forum. There are a ton of fixes for that.

Cheers mate!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-04-19 at 20:23.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Depends on how the SATA drives are connected. If they are on a separate controller you may need a driver update, although an XP one may be hard to find. If the SATA drives are connected directly to the motherboard I would go with DrWho's suggestion - I don't agree with the 1/10th speed, maybe half.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

The SATA drives are connected to the motherboard not a PCI card otherwise I'm unsure what you mean by separate controllers?

Slow boot times were solved once I started using Sleep mode. I've not had any issues with Sleep mode before I set up the dual boot with Win7, so I'm happy to stick with it. What I want to do is have the 2 partitions on the 2nd SATA HDD display after returning from Sleep mode.

As for removing the IDE drive I'm unsure of the consequences of the dual boot setup I'm now using to want to try that approach.

P.S. I hate Win7 Explorer and find Libraries only add more confusion when saving files so plan to stick with WinXP for the time being.

Regards Neilm
    Neilm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Depends on how the SATA drives are connected. If they are on a separate controller you may need a driver update, although an XP one may be hard to find. If the SATA drives are connected directly to the motherboard I would go with DrWho's suggestion - I don't agree with the 1/10th speed, maybe half.

cheers, Paul
    When did 133 become half of 3000? New math? Or, fuzzy math?

Ok, I was in technical error when I said 1/10, the SATA II drive is actually 22.55 times faster than an IDE drive. OK?

If there is an open SATA port on the motherboard, an IDE drive can be connected to it via an IDE to SATA adapter. I've used one extensively and the data transfer speed will be equal to the speed of a SATA I drive (1500mbps). I've sat here and marveled at it myself. I know....it's a dirty little secret, but hey.....do what works! Eh?

Thanks
    Neilm,
    Something you may want to try on Win-7, is the "Classic Shell", it makes the start menu and Windows Explorer look and act a lot like XP-Classic.
    It's a program that runs when you boot up to Win-7. Try it....if you don't like it, just uninstall it. No harm, no foul.
    I won't set up any Win-7 PC without it, especially when the customer is upgrading from an XP computer. It's been a life saver.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Pardon the slight thread hijack.

SATA 1 is only just faster than PATA/IDE - wikipedia
    Ultimate speed is determined by the rate at which the disk can supply data - rotation speed and data density - and the requests by the operating system. Real life operation will see an improvement much lower than the bus transfer rate differential.

cheers, Paul