muybn

can't use wildcard/asterisk for File|Open (Word 97 under Win2000)

Since I've started using Win2000, I can't use the asterisk as a wildcard in the File name under File|Open. It was fine under Win95 and 98, but now I receive this message:

You do not have access to the folder "C:myfoldername*". See your administrator for access to this folder.

It apparently has something to do with some W2000 permissions issue. I log on as Administrator.

Thanks

Re: can't use wildcard/asterisk for File|Open (Word 97 under Win2000)

I don't know the answer, but do you really need the *? If you choose All Files or use the file spec *.* does it work as expected?

muybn

Thanks for your reply. The wildcard *.* is treated the same way (by Word) as *. Looking for All Files and *.* don't do what I need. What you're suggesting is useful for trying to find different file TYPES, but what I need to do is manipulate NAMES of Word documents. What I do works under all Windows versions I've had except 2000.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How do you mean, 'manipulate names'? Only the * means all, so putting * in the find field on its own should be unnecessary - leaving the field empty would have the same effect, surely ...?
    Beryl M

muybn

Maybe I should clarify. For example, if I have numerous documents starting with "NYC" and the document I want to open is called "NYC091101observations.doc" and I can only remember that the name begins with "NYC", it's a huge timesaver to be able to put in "NYC*" to show all documents beginning with NYC. So, I should have more aptly indicated at first that I'm interested in using the asterisk as a partial file name wildcard. Since this procedure operated as expected in Win95 and Win98, I would appreciate being directed to a solution from the standpoint of Win2000 permissions. Thanks.

Thanks

If you're an administrator, there shouldn't be a permissions problem on your own C drive. Try posting over on the Windows 2000 board and see if anyone has heard of this.

muybn

Thanks. I'll post over there.