New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Roll-back from IE9 to IE8

I recently upgraded my Win7-64bit computer to IE9-64bit and absolutely do not like it. When printing a web-page to the Adobe Print driver, I always get gibberish text in place of the regular content text. I also do not like the new "look and feel". If I want that, I will use FFX 4.0.

I tried to do a System Restore, and it failed. (I have never been successful with System Restore on any machine or operating system which is another problem).

I am posting here just to find out the best way to remove IE9 and reinstall IE8.

Is IE8 still available from MS?

Any help here would be most appreciated.

Doug

Administrator
    Thanks
    IE8 is part of Windows 7. To remove IE9, go to Control Panel | Programs | View Installed Updates. Scroll down until you see "Windows Internet Explorer 9". Select it and the uninstall it. Removing IE9 should automatically revert to IE8.

Joe

Thanks
    Doug,
    I too have experienced the gibberish printing when printing a web page to Adobe, but only with 2 web pages. To cure the problem, I had to deactivate the software, then I did a reinstall and then reactivate. No problems after that. I had the same problem in IE 8 BTW.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Joe's right, I should also note that IE8 and 9 have both 32-bit and 64-bit executables as part of the installation on 64-bit systems like yours. At this point in time, almost nobody needs to or should want to run the 64-bit iteration of IE.

Both Adobe's free Reader and Acrobat are 32-bit programs, so they don't have a 64-bit add-in for browsers. I suspect the Adobe print driver is the same, which is why you were having problems.

Key

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    IE8 is part of Windows 7. To remove IE9, go to Control Panel | Programs | View Installed Updates. Scroll down until you see "Windows Internet Explorer 9". Select it and the uninstall it. Removing IE9 should automatically revert to IE8.

Joe
    I don't know if anyone has check recently, but there is not IE9 in programs and features to be able to uninstall IE 9 for me. I spent half an hour looking in Programs and features, and it is just not there. I need to uninstall, because it won't let me go to ligitimate web sites because it is reporting I have a malicious addon. I tried doing a full reset including personal data, but no go. So I am trying to do a full uninstall to go back to IE 8 but it just won't let me. Again, there is no program listing for me for IE9. And I have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate(on a AMD Sempron 1.8Ghz 32 bit). So any bright ideas?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chilli1327 For This Useful Post:

sonofned (2011-08-06)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chilli1327 View Post
    I don't know if anyone has check recently, but there is not IE9 in programs and features to be able to uninstall IE 9 for me. I spent half an hour looking in Programs and features, and it is just not there. I need to uninstall, because it won't let me go to ligitimate web sites because it is reporting I have a malicious addon. I tried doing a full reset including personal data, but no go. So I am trying to do a full uninstall to go back to IE 8 but it just won't let me. Again, there is no program listing for me for IE9. And I have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate(on a AMD Sempron 1.8Ghz 32 bit). So any bright ideas?
    In the Programs and Features window, click on "View installed updates" near top left. Windows Internet Explorer 9 is there under the Microsoft Windows heading.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2011-07-17 at 19:05.

New Lounger
    Thanks

How Do I Remove Internet Explorer 9?

You can also Remove IE9 Programmatically or via Script,

How Do I Remove Internet Explorer 9?

Pete
    PeteNetLive